Running out of clothes

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
maja1991
Learner Laner

Re: Running out of clothes

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Spreckly wrote:Good to read that you have now got some changes of clothes.

You could say, it was about time. Don't know what I would have done without my friends and their help. It's so good to have a few more things to wear (that are not falling apart). They don't fit properly (except the t-shirts). The sweat pants are too large, the jeans too small (but I can button them), the hoodie is too large, the hoodie jacket too small and the rain jacket way too large (it's from a guy). But I really don't care that they don't fit perfectly. I like them. :-D

Spreckly wrote:When my three sons were small, I knitted all their jumpers.

My mom did that, too. )t'

Spreckly wrote:We had clothes passed down from friends whose children had outgrown them.

I think that's a good thing. Why throwing them away? We throw away too much things and reuse too little.

Spreckly wrote:I hope you keep fit and well in the coming cold months.

Thanks. I think everything will be allright. :-D
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

bmpsands wrote:I'm glad thigs are looking up a little. As Richard mentioned, some of us have had very hard times. Certainly I have. I remember those times now and try to help other people when I can.

That's really kind. Not a thing everybody would do. )t'

bmpsands wrote:I agree that you have to be sure to get some warm footwear for the winter. You can't study or do anything else effectively if you are uncomfortable. Waterproof stuff is also a good idea, especially as you do so much walking in order to save money.

I'm fine with flipflops right now. It's not so cold here (right now it is 7 degrees celsius). Okay, most people would say that's not weather to wear flip-flops. I don't care. I don't get cold feet so easily. It's better than walking barefoot now, though. :-D

bmpsands wrote:I'm sure many of us will be thinking of you.

Please don't feel that you are ever alone.

Bea

Thanks so much.

I wish you all a nice halloween ... I will go to a party tonight given by a few fellow students.

)hic( :-D
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Just wanted to say hello again! And want to ask for your opinions ... ;)
It's about clothing, as always ...

I have saved a bit of money last month and I got (surprisingly) a donation from extended family, so money is not so much of an issue at the moment. :-D
Thing is: I didn't buy anything yet, I hesitate. I still wear the handouts from my friends and I'm still in flip flops. (The shoes I wanted to buy were sold out in my size.) I really got used to it, even in rainy 4 degrees weather like today I'm okay. I just get odd looks sometimes, as I'm most probably the only girl in Koblenz area wearing flip flops outside now. :-D

What I would like to ask: what would you do? Buy some more expensive clothes? Some cheap clothes? Or just save the money?

I tend to do the latter ...
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Post by Sandra M »

I would get a pair of shoes and save the rest of the money to replace items as they wear out.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I agree with Sandra.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Glad to hear from you again. Shoes would top my list. Keeping money to replace things as they wear out is sensible. You might want to think about whether you have enough warm clothing to allow for a change in very cold, damp weather. It's likely to be a long winter.

Good luck for 2014 - but I hope we hear from you again before the New Year.

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

Sorry to hear of your woes Marja.

Maybe I've missed something, but why aren't you working? Just wondering if there's a reason.

Hope it sorts itself out.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

What a sad story if it is right, i don't think it is personally.

Maggie
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

urbanchicks wrote:What a sad story if it is right, i don't think it is personally.

Maggie

My thoughts are the same. :?
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

YOu may be correct, but having had the same passing thought I decided that I'd rather look naieve than risk ignoring/upsetting a young person in real difficulty.

Possibly some of the horror stories I encountered every day during my working life make me more inclined to accept apparently outrageous stories. It was either that, or become too cynical to do the job.

Either way, I've looked stupid before and don't mind doing so again. I did wonder how Marja found this site in the first place.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Exactly! And why this site,because she can see the type of people who use it ie caring,compassionate,caring,listeners, donors even,be careful out there.

Maggie
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

maja1991 wrote:Just wanted to say hello again! And want to ask for your opinions ... ;)
It's about clothing, as always ...

I have saved a bit of money last month and I got (surprisingly) a donation from extended family, so money is not so much of an issue at the moment. :-D
Thing is: I didn't buy anything yet, I hesitate. I still wear the handouts from my friends and I'm still in flip flops. (The shoes I wanted to buy were sold out in my size.) I really got used to it, even in rainy 4 degrees weather like today I'm okay. I just get odd looks sometimes, as I'm most probably the only girl in Koblenz area wearing flip flops outside now. :-D

What I would like to ask: what would you do? Buy some more expensive clothes? Some cheap clothes? Or just save the money?

Imho, only you can answer the questions above, as you are the only one who knows all the intricate details of your life and what you most need.

How do you manage getting all the Uni things you will obviously need? My daughter is doing a degree and is in her third year and the books and everything else she needs are extremely expensive, not to mention the cash needed to get back and forwards to Uni as well. She has a daughter too and works to get the money she needs to support them both and very seldom comes to us for anything and if she does it is usually a, 'Can I borrow some money till I get paid,' request, which is always paid back.

Have you looked into all the grants etc that you most likely will be entitled to? I know you are in Germany, but I would imagine there are grants and bursarys, or something similar where you are.
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Sandra M wrote:I would get a pair of shoes and save the rest of the money to replace items as they wear out.

I bought a pair of sneakers today. They were on sale for only 10 €. They are quite comfortable and warm enough for the so called winter here ...

Richard wrote:Maybe I've missed something, but why aren't you working? Just wondering if there's a reason.

I live from bafög at the moment. That's money students get from the state. It's part a social aid and part a loan you have to pay back later. It's not much in my case, though. I try to find a job.

urbanchicks wrote:What a sad story if it is right, i don't think it is personally.

It was rough the last months but I'm doing fine now.

bmpsands wrote:I did wonder how Marja found this site in the first place.

I'm really into frugal living. I read a lot about it and about simple living, minimalism, dumpster diving and so on. I came here by google. I didn't find a german forum about this topic, so I wrote here.

urbanchicks wrote:Exactly! And why this site,because she can see the type of people who use it ie caring,compassionate,caring,listeners, donors even,be careful out there.

I can understand your thoughts. But be assured, I'm not here for donations or anything like that.

Gwenoakes wrote:Imho, only you can answer the questions above, as you are the only one who knows all the intricate details of your life and what you most need.

As said I bought shoes and I'll go for a pair of jeans on monday. (Today it is too full here in the city, I don't like crowded streets so much.) I don't really need them, but as it turned out, I'll be visiting my parents for christmas and I don't want to shop up there with worn out sweatpants ...

Gwenoakes wrote:How do you manage getting all the Uni things you will obviously need? My daughter is doing a degree and is in her third year and the books and everything else she needs are extremely expensive, not to mention the cash needed to get back and forwards to Uni as well. She has a daughter too and works to get the money she needs to support them both and very seldom comes to us for anything and if she does it is usually a, 'Can I borrow some money till I get paid,' request, which is always paid back.

There are studies that are very expensive. A friend of mine is doing detal medicine and he always needs to buy expensive things for the exercises.

Fortunately I only need books (which are available at university's library most of them), a computer, internet access and pens and paper. Sometimes I have to buy things for my studies, but not often and not really expensive stuff.

I have to pay about 100 € per term to the university (so called sozialbeitrag), which includes (mandatory, I have no choice) a ticket for all the bus lines in the area here. So transportation to and from university and downtown is free for me.

Let alone the 100 €, studying is free in the bundesland (state) I live. If not, I wouldn't be able to study.

Gwenoakes wrote:Have you looked into all the grants etc that you most likely will be entitled to? I know you are in Germany, but I would imagine there are grants and bursarys, or something similar where you are.

Yes, I have. As said, I already receive help from the state.

Regarding your concerns: I'm really here to talk about frugal, simple living, minimalism and things like that. Perhaps it sounded otherwise, sorry for that.

And as said, I'm really fine right now. Money is no problem at the moment, I only don't want to spend much and save as much as possible.

I wish you all Merry Christmas and nice holidays ...
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I hope you have a lovely Christmas and New Year Marja
perchy

Post by perchy »

Maggie1 wrote:I hope you have a lovely Christmas and New Year Marja

Me too Marja and I hope 2014 is good to you )t'