Firewood for Winter

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Firewood for Winter

Post by silverback »

We don't get free logs, but our friend who owns the shoot, looks after and manages the wood, so get our logs at half price! )t' . We always go down to the shooting ground and help split and load the logs, due to go down this weekend, will post some pics if I remember )t' ....
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
manda

Post by manda »

There have been huge storms here ...trees down all over the place following winds of 170km/h (about 105 miles ?). We were so so lucky we've had no damage with just the power out for half a day....but our friend had around 70 trees came down.

This one was blocking the driveway so we went up this afternoon and hubby got out his bigger chainsaw...they had made a start on other trees but this one the way it had blown over they didn't want to touch it.

Couple of hours and it was in bits and they can drive through.

There's going to be a lot of firewood around this year me thinks...our friend who's family won a logging company reckon that they alone have 250,000 tonnes of wood that's blown over in the wind :? Good for everyone but not good we've lost so many trees.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
norfolknets
Learner Laner

Post by norfolknets »

We use single use pallets (tons of 'em) it's amazing how many of these are just skipped on biulding sites and I've never been refused when I ask for them, likewise on demolition sites......it's now cheaper to scrap the timber than to try to reclaim it, evidently.