Lighting the Rayburn today

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Lighting the Rayburn today

Post by Richard »

I've got to today with no heating on atall yet, but using the excuse 'I need to light the Rayburn because I need to fire cement a few spots and it needs to get hot afterwards', am doing so !

Fair enough, I'm freezing and my shoulders a tad painful this morning after driving around a lot yesterday.

Special treat and once again switched on by that lovely smell only an Aga or Rayburn can give.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

mines been on all summer - need it for the cooking, and to be honest its not been warm enough for bar b qs this year!! PLus oh yes we now have a bath that is plumbed in- all that free yummy hot water to bath in, its been over two years since we had a bath in the house (we do share the water have a septic and dont want to blow it with too much bath water!!!!!!)

have fun with the lighting and fire cement
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
Richard

Post by Richard »

What do you burn spudley ?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard

Post by Richard »

Oh well, Ginger's happy - but he doesn't have to collect the wood !

Photobucket
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

we burn mainly wood. In the summer we generally burn pallets, this heats up the oven and water quite well, and then if damped right down lasts a couple of hours in the evening depending on how chilly it is, a pallet does about two to three days depending on how late we keep in the fire. To keep it in the evenings now it is colder we collect wood through the year, this year was quite good as we came across a tree that had fallen and closed the road. the council blokes were cutting it up and we were putting it in the back of the landy as quick as we could. Also when the council are verge clearing they stack up the larger bits for the first locals that come along..its like hard rubbish collection and you have to get there early, plus there are a couple of gents who come around in their flat beds after chopping trees and sell it on to us at a very very good price, so there is never a shortage of wood. We get a couple of bags of coal in when we think its about to snow just to keep it in all night to keep of the chill.

but if it burns it goes in the range.....
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
thehenhouse
Lively Laner

Post by thehenhouse »

any smoke leaks?? Richard?

we lit ours about a month ago.. but its colder up here..

and i love it.. we burn anthracite and we also get local joiners/ builders to drop us off their wood off cuts or we collect them.. thats free wood!

As spudley says free hot water and ours is connected up to some of the house so heats 3 radiators as well...its so handy, you can dry the washing.. on the top of it, cook, keep the tea hot in the pot the list is only limited by my imagination..

and yes the cats and the dog fight for best space right in front of it..

maggi :)
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Mine is an oil rayburn and like spudly's one, is on all year. I have no other cooker, no tumble dryer and no other hot water - it also has a second burner in it for heating all the rads (10) but that only goes on from dec-april (hopefully as it doubles the running costs).

It was new 5 years ago but was an old fashioned model which they no longer sell - all the new ones have pressure burners while mine is gravity fed. I chose this as we get lots of power cuts but now still have hot water and cooking! Also the new ones are supposed to be heated from cold each time you want to cook so no warm kitchen! Can't see the point of those really!

I LOVE my rayburn!! )c(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com