Make a will

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Make a will

Post by Meanqueen »

Worth a look if you need to make a will.
www.freewillsmonth.org.uk
Must be done in October. Mine's done.
Ilona
Maggie1

Re: Make a will

Post by Maggie1 »

Seriously though if you haven't made a will I implore you to do so. For the same money that you would spend on a good night out it will give you peace of mind and also your family.
My Mum died without a will and my Dad had a hell of a job to get her few pounds savings transferred to his account
We are lucky over here if you buy a house and use a solicitor that solicitor will do you a will free of charge.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

A house went up for sale last week in my street, it had been empty for over three years. A man was left it in his mothers will. Sign went up, people started viewing, my friend had an appointment to view. She turned up, estate agent turned up, but man didn't show. My friend was miffed. Then she got a text from the agent, owner didn't show because he was dead. It was a sudden death, totally unexpected. Now it's going to take ages to sort out because he has no family, and no will.

Best to make a will, you never know what will happen next.
Ilona
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

You don't need to pay a penny to make a will.
We buy the forms that are fully official at the PO and make and remake wills depending on our situation. I think the last ones were five or six years ago when the number of horses we had changed and I started my own business.

Anyway, so long as you get them witnessed, you don't need a solicitor and it's just the cost of the form. I expect they're free on the net too, but I like the thick paper from the PO {rofwl}

We always leave them in the drawers strangers would first see on entering the house, just in case we both die in an accident and nobody knows we have horses to care for, etc. I also have swapped copies with a neighbour who's single as he has the same worry and wants his cat cared for as directed.
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
wendy

Post by wendy »

Certainly you should always make a will. We have recently been through awful problems with my brothers will and he thought he had everything tied up :?

Most definitely as you say if you have animals and you need to make certain they are safe.
I have a laminated card in my car. Telling what animals I have at home and their ages. Also my son and daughters details as well as my vet, in case they are in the car with me. So if we have an accident Police know there are animals at home that need looking after.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Thinking about that one, Wendy, if you are in your own car the police would have your address from the numberplate, but of course the neighbours might not know your next of kin's address even if (in my case) they knew a daughter lived locally. If you are in someone else's car it might be harder to find out who you are. I don't even carry my handbag if I'm going to a dance with OH (don't want to leave it on my chair, he carries cash in pocket and nothing much else). So if it was dark when we went out the hens could be locked in, and so might the cat.
You are raising scenarios we don't like to think about.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

Very true Mo.
I do have a smaller card in my purse with the same details. But don't always take my bag.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning