Actual minimum amount a single person can live on

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Actual minimum amount a single person can live on

Post by rhubarb93 »

My daughter has just been offered an apprenticeship in countryside management in Somerset. I am thrilled for her and proud she got it as the competition was stiff.
For the first year she'll get paid just £148 a week. Obviously we'll supplement it a bit for her, but can anyone give me a realistic idea of what it actually costs to live frugally but reasonably comfortably in a rural area?
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Actual minimum amount a single person can live on

Post by Totally Scrambled »

That's a hard one. Does her £148 a week have to cover rent, Council Tax, Utilities etc or are they included in her employment?
Dom
Ali Woks My World
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

We not expecting her to manage on that, but yes, she needs accommodation, utils, food etc and to run a car.
We are looking at a possible house share where the rent includes bills, at £350 a month. It's all the other stuff that's hard to estimate.
We want her to have enough to afford at least a bit of a social life, but not to splash it around
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Post by Sandra M »

My son is at uni he shares a house where all bills are included the only thing he has to pay is internet he manages to buy food have a social life and pay his internet on £65 a week
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

A lot depends on your daughters prowess with cooking and other lifestyle needs I guess.

Sharing sounds a good idea, but I wouldn't like to put a figure on it.

A roof over the head and food in the belly are the main items. I would imagine some mebers could put a price on the food.

Wishing you all well.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hmmmm, tricky one. At the moment (excluding the majority of household bills) I have under £300 pm to pay for food, petrol, clothes, grandchildren, social life and all other spending including birthdays etc. As my petrol bill is almost £100 pm that leaves under £200 for the rest. :?

Have to say, I am finding it difficult.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The cost of a social life depends who you are mixing with. If there are others on the course, equally hard up they can do the frugal things together. And at uni there are student-run societies that are (or were in my day) low cost.

I think I would give her a small starter sum and ask her to keep records of what she spends to be shown to you before she gets more, set her the challenge of managing.

Some things are regular expenses, others are one off. in the past I've drawn up a spending record I using columns
Similar each week - food, car (petrol), social & other bits
uneven but fairly predictable - car (other e.g.insurance, repairs), bills, holidays
one off - new cooker, carpet, home repairs
At the end of the year I can get an idea of how much has come in / gone out, and how the pension will stretch next year.

This is a skill she will need in future, so help her to start right. I assume one of the things you will be helping with is to make sure that she has a car in good order, taxed and insured at the start - maybe she will be able to save for the next tax, disc, MOT, insurance renewal, but maybe not. I would let her manage the day to day expenses if possible. Then review it when she gives you the data.
The petrol bill would vary depending how near she lives to her course.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Brianfromdorset
Lively Laner

Post by Brianfromdorset »

Good luck to your daughter in her apprenticeship.
I studied countryside management at kingston maurward in Dorchester for 4 years (and rural studies too).

Money is often a worry but im sure it wont get in the way of her experience that ive no doubt she'll enjoy and gain valuble skills from that will see her well in her career.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Thanks Folks