Garden Gate sales

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi lucy (f+ (f+ (f+

good one )t' )t'

although i dont think my mum would want them after having me as a teenager )j; )j; )j; (i was good really) LOL

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

my 2 youngest boys 7 and 9 every so often have a clear out of their toys and will but a blanket down on the front green and sell them )t' )t' )t'
they normaly make about £2 each, last time they done it they bought some go go crazy bones out of their earnings )t'

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

I just sell my surplus eggs to friends, family, people at work who ask for them at £1 for 6. If I get some really enormous eggs then I ask £1.20 but that doesn't happen very often. The few extra pennies help in the winter when the sale of eggs (what eggs? they've all but stopped laying) is virtually non-existant.

I live in a city. Does anybody else live in a city and sell things over the gate? Things like surplus plants and produce (courgettes... :-D ?). Is it successful? Are there any byelaws that apply to selling by city dwellers as opposed to those in a more rural location?

I'm all for the hens subsidising their feed etc and I'd be happy if the fruit and veg helped too.
ged
Lively Laner

garden gate...

Post by ged »

8)
Hi Smallholderwannabe!(could you have not picked a shorter handle?lol)
In these days of PC 'gone mad' I am sure that somewhere there are laws for every aspect of our lives in these 'led by the hand' days!
However,IMHO,the authorities cannot police every single edict issued from those in power!When I kept my chooks,I 'gave' away my surplus eggs,however I was always given a 'gift' by the appreciative recipient of organic produce.I feel it would come down to the local trading standards office and how large an operation you were 'running' from your gate,ie,perceived as a competitve challenge to 'sainsblogs or the like'
I am equally sure that this topic has surfaced before under a different guise on DTL(cannot think where at the moment)
Perhaps' Mo' may be able to recall the topic,she is multi-talented in these areas I believe!
I am not advocating that we all set out to 'break the law of the land'(well not on an open forum anyway!lol )de: IMHO,if you want to do something,it is best to do it without bringing 'undue attention'
down on yourself.I hope this has helped to clarify your thoughts on the matter of g.g.sales.
atb
ged(still an apprentice 'outlaw' at aged 58!) ^b: )t' )j; :!:
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
cluck
Lively Laner

Post by cluck »

That is great, making that money from eggs etc. I am thinking of making a sign in our porch window to sell eggs as have given away about 20 in last couple of weeks. Will put the money back into feed etc for the chooks. Well done you. Is that the normal kind of price £1 for 6 eggs as wasn't sure what to ask.?
1 x Hubby, 2 kids, 1 Dog, 2 cats, 2 Chickens, 6 Rabbits
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think £1 / 6 sounds about right.
The only worries I had about putting up a notice is that it might bring people to the door who would then find out that you weren't in. But I suppose they could come and knock anyway.
Thats why I sold my plums with an honesty box last year.
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

I take my eggs into work, each monday before I have my coat off I have people coming to collect, those that didnt get an order in the wednesday before also come asking to see if I will have any spare for the rest of the week or to get their names down on next weeks list. I started of thinking that if the girls could cover the feed I would be happy.
Well so far they are covering the feed, and worming, have bought us fish and chips twice, and a book!. they are also putting by enough for fed over the winter!.
I charge £1 for 6, and have had people offering me more just to be bumped up the egg list!-I refuseo f course.
When I am off work we put them on a table at the fromt of the house and they still sell.
Its odd though my girls have started laying an egg each now the days are shorter 15 a day. so they are all laying. They must be getting ready for for their winter hols....
I have also stuck marrows out the front for 50p, and sold seedlings and tom plants, mand made hanging baskets for the shop. Nearly all my seeds were xmas pressies (we had a seed list) so the produce that we have sold has basically covered the cost of the very cheap green house we have.
Its a very small amount but it all counts (plus we have still not had to buy a potato this summer and still have a bed and half that we need to dig
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

spudley wrote: each monday before I have my coat off I have people coming to collect,

Last time I took a box to dance club they were 'won' by the person on my side of the car, if I'd got out of the other side someone else would have had them.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Baaaa Bok Bok Bok wrote:We did discuss it, but decided that they would be worth more as child labour!

They are still young enough to think that jumping around in the swampy chicken coop in the pouring rain, is better than being in the warm and dry ... so i arm them with a tin of layers pellets and the egg trug,and watch them intently from the comfort of the cozy house, thinking that i'm glad, I didn't sell them!! (f+
x

Why do you think I let them come to my house so much!!!?? :shock:
xxx
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Post by Bok bok bok »

P.Penn

Check out Mad chicks ideas on child adoption! I like it! You could have chicken helpers ALL THE TIME!

Will will need 'chicken helpers treats' however and it might not be covered by your egg sales!!

x[quote][/quote]
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Post by Bok bok bok »

PS not worked out this Quote thing yet! :oops:
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

ged wrote:

Hi Smallholderwannabe!(could you have not picked a shorter handle?lol)

How about "Jo"...? Is that short enough?

Totally off topic - it was my birthday over the weekend and I had asked for practical presents. My (grown up) children complied and happily presented me with a bale of hay and sacks of hen food... :)

So I don't need to think about the fact that the hens are having a winter holiday and are not paying their way from the sale of eggs.

Jo
untouchable
Longlasting Laner

Post by untouchable »

On a really good day, I get 8 eggs out of 9 hens, so I do sell them. I charge £1 per 6, and that goes into the 'chicken' pot, which is left alone until they need feed/nedding etc, then I dip in. So basically, they do pay for themselves at the moment.

I have regular orders of 24 eggs a week (3 different people) and Im hoping that when the girls have a winter slowdown (if they have one that is) then I should still be able to fulfill the orders )t'
3 kids, 4 dogs, one pony, 3 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits, 1 snake, 5 lovely chooks...I guess you can say I love my animals!