Christmas frugality ??

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Christmas frugality ??

Post by Richard »

Is anyone cutting back at all or figured out some good tips for us all ?

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
tosca100
Lively Laner

Re: Christmas frugality ??

Post by tosca100 »

Certainly are! But as we have moved three thousand miles away it has been easy. We don't have to work massively long hours either. In fact we don't have to do anything but chat to rellies via Skype, eat and watch telly (internet permitting!)

Bliss

PS Splashed out on a new tree, £7, as we have brought out family decorations. Not sure what the neighbours will think! )x(
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Richard

Post by Richard »

Sounds good.

I'm afraid I find the whole thing plastic, surface and Retail led (must emphasise everyone to their own )t' )

I buy presents for the close family of course, but it's true when I've said I don't have any purchased decorations, I just bring some holly in and burn a yule log.

As some of you know, all my presents are wrapped in Newspaper - they enjoy that !!

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Paul O Grady said it all last night. He said whats it all about.
Flaffing around spending loads of money on presents people don't want.
Getting irate and uptight trying to find presents and then discover they've missed one
Getting loads of food in which you don't usually have and ends up going bad
The shops are only closed 1 day some are even open on Christmas day
Richard

Post by Richard »

True Maggie, I saw something which said we buy (not spend, only relatively) 35% more food at Christmas - do we eat 35% more ?

Richard )t'
Richard

Post by Richard »

(I do go to Tesco's an hour before they close on Christmas Eve though - got some ridiculous bargains last year on the Meat Counter)

)x(
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Richard wrote:Sounds good.

I'm afraid I find the whole thing plastic, surface and Retail led (must emphasise everyone to their own )t' )

I buy presents for the close family of course, but it's true when I've said I don't have any purchased decorations, I just bring some holly in and burn a yule log.

As some of you know, all my presents are wrapped in Newspaper - they enjoy that !!

Richard )t' )t'

So agree! It is so nice to have no pressure, (used to work in a major supermarket so had it rammed down my throat since August!)and as my shopping for this month was done at the end of November, hardly any sign of Christmas in the shops over here. I know a few of the local ex-pats are going all out, but with the Bulgarian villagers being so poor in the main it seems a bit disrespectful.

Added to which it is supposed to be a religious festival and that is not me. My tree is a little reminder of my late Mum as it will have her favourite treasures on from as far back as the forties.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

We have agreed with my parents this year that we won't bother with presents - no point buying for the sake of buying. Hubby & I won't be swapping pressies either, moving hasn't been cheap and if we want something we tend to buy it or save for it. I would much rather have my run & shed finished & new girls moved in ready for Christmas than a pressie I don't need or want!

Food will be fairly usual, maybe the odd nicer nibble, just because we can! Decorations will be minimal - tree & baubles were new last year so will be using those, will make a garlandy thing for the mantlepiece with greenery & berries etc found on walks and I have made a fabric wreath that can be brought out year after year.

I would happily cancel Christmas (for myself, I understand it is very special for those with kiddies) - bah humbug :-D
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi

That's true. How many (adult) members of the family say they'll spend £20 each.
The chances are you'll get something you don't want plus it's just as easy to spend your own £20 on yourself with the thought of someone!!

I know a family of five and although they wrap the presents up with cards and other decoration, they all know exactly what's inside !!

Fair enough it's 'the occasion'.

I should have titled the thread 'Richard's Bah Humbug Frugal Check Out' :-D :-D :-D

Richard )x(
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I am being a bit wise with money rather than frugal this year, our penny jar money is paying for food, we have our tree as decoration and bit of tinsel round picture frames. Hubby did buy new lights. Presents are for close family and some very good neighbours. As it gets nearer I am finding it all a bit much as next year Christmas will be so very different. I am going to make this one a good one for my loved ones, and think that is the main thing
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

mrs boodles wrote:I am being a bit wise with money rather than frugal this year, our penny jar money is paying for food, we have our tree as decoration and bit of tinsel round picture frames. Hubby did buy new lights. Presents are for close family and some very good neighbours. As it gets nearer I am finding it all a bit much as next year Christmas will be so very different. I am going to make this one a good one for my loved ones, and think that is the main thing

{hug} {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

We aren't being frugal but we are trying to spend sensibly. The only decoration we have spent out on this year has been our Christmas tree which was £17.99.

We are out for Christmas Day so haven't bought any chocolates or sweets as in previous years we would buy loads of mince pies, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, boxes of chocolates and other stuff that we would just eat for the sake of it.

Gift wise, apart from our granddaughter, we have tried to be sensible too. OH has bought me some nice black suede fur lined gloves from JL that I picked out and I have bought him a new case for his mobile phone as his existing one is falling apart.

We don't buy for anyone but immediate family so it's not as costly as it used to be :-D
Lyn

Post by Sara »

Im on the frugal and bah humbug wagon this christmas too Richard )t'

Ive not a lot of enthusiasm or spare money for it this year, so everything is being kept to the minimum , but ive gotten us a few treats... )grin2(
I will only give a gift to those closest to me , and id rather give something small and often second hand or homemade, its more personal and symbolic and represents something .... Not so much for christmas in the religious sense but more for the occasion of sharing and giving...
I think the present budget for liv and those closest to me is around 60€ so far and i had about 70€ of english shopping bought over as a special treat.... Other than that theres not a lot else i need to get , livs main present and a secret santa and im done )t'

Just cutting back and thinking it through really, i dont need 4 tins of roses when after 2 im sick of the sight of them... and i dont need scented candles ,as i prefer the smell of insense sticks .. )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

We too are cutting back this year, when I say cutting back I mean we are not going to spend money on lots of food we won't eat. I have Christmas Day and Boxing Day off, but working as normal the rest of the time. I have made a list of food, with a few extras but not OTT. Presents, only buying for Brother in law, and 2 of my closest friends. Hubby and I won't buy for each other as we will be going to Florida for a holiday in either January or February.
[center][/center]Davina
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My daughter did some early Christmas shopping of things for her children (age 2 & 5) at special offer prices, and is offering them to the family to buy (they both have December birthdays too)
She is firmly vetoing buying anything else "don't start any more sets or we'll have to move".

I hate the thought of buying things people don't want, so they know what (not) to expect. Adult no-present pact.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire