Christmas frugality ??

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Re: Christmas frugality ??

Post by Stef »

Well that was good.

We splurged, I tell ya! We splurged.

3 jars we bought.... tutti frutti jam, great, apricotty but nicer, lemon and lime curd and a spiced plum relish. Very nice.

Then to the cookshop and we got both knife and sharpener, saw a few more things but resisted, after all the kitchen is really small and the stuff we have works!

Popped into some tabletop sales and a craft fair too... no purchases but I may have found places to sell my tut - should I ever get round to making it in bulk, ie more than thinking about it or making one, just to see :-D

All very nice but really cold >dum<

So we remain frugal We may even join the library rather than buy our usual crismas books. It isn't that far away!

So we are done for the holidays. Just veg to buy and the pork to pick up on the 23rd. Though I may yet be seduced by another bauble for the tree )x3(
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

A busy morning Stef, but you did good.

It is important isn't it that no matter how hard times may be to have that odd one something special.

Maggies mentioned cards, even I, yes me, thought of Christmas when in Nepal and found these really beautiful Cards, I brought 24 of them each one slightly different, worked out to about 9p each!
Lovely card paper, hand made from dried flowers, ornate and supporting something special.

I'm almost so pleased with them I don't want to give them away !!!!

[center]Image

Image[/center]

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Crikey, they're really nice. Even I may have picked them up.... but may not have had the heart to post them! Add to that the whole idea of supporting a cottage industry and such a tradition and you must feel all warm.

I did lie by the way! We also bought a little jar of Tewkesbury mustard, made about half a mile from where it was bought. So that must mean he is planning on steak sometime soonish :-D

So we really have bought ourselves a real touch of luxury. It's just up to me to make the rest of it.

Richard

Post by Richard »

yike*

Tewkesbury Mustard !!!!!

Honestly Stef, that really is going too far.

I should have added that it's more for the in-laws etc whom I shall be seeing in Southampton, kind of card and present, they'd look nice framed, so I shall go down that route!!

Richard )x( )x(
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, despite only having one job this winter, I just cant help myself at christmas! :oops:

I just love buying pressies and lookf orward to seeing peoples faces when they open them. I have made a few bits this year, but seem to have just added them as extras

Oooooooh - its nearly Christmas!!!! )x5( )x6( )x(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Bah humbug {rofwl}
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

p.penn wrote:
Oooooooh - its nearly Christmas!!!! )x5( )x6( )x(

:-D :-D :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Maggie1 wrote:Bah humbug

Bah chocolate to you too.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Christmas in the LL house tended to be a small affair with a nice roast and trimmings, just a few cards to good friends and some relatives, and a treat for myself. I haven't bought any new decorations in years. This year has been a little more expensive than I'd like to admit, some of it out of my hands like the car breaking down, twice, so Christmas was going to be a very frugal affair. But then I had a look in the cupboards and despite cutting back on food shopping recently, I really don't need to get that much at all as I've still got loads of my own produce, and still have a very nice Christmas )t'
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Have the best Christmas you can. Who knows if you will see another one. Whats the point of scrimping, life's too short )x1( )x2( )x6( )x5( )x3(
LYN
Richard

Post by Richard »

hehe. I don't think it's about scrimping, it's about not spending money you don't have and / or would be better spent on the other 364 days in the year :-D

But, whatever turns anyone on !!

Richard )t' )t'
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Ruchard, I realy like those cards. )t'
I am making Mrs Als christmas present this year but have to admit to spending a small fortune on Kathryns (my daughter) presents.
We are going out for dinner christmas eve so wont be cooking christmas day. not sure how that all balances out but my wallet currently feels resonably healthy which is a rare thing at this time of year. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Richard

Post by Richard »

So the present outweighs the cost of the Christmas Dinner. That's sad news Mate :-D

I get worried when I actually have money. If I don't have any, there's no money to worry about - strange psychology !!

With my two kids I tend to buy low at Christmas, I keep an eye on them through the year and if I see a need (and they would never ask) I will help them out then.
Works well for me anyway - and them.

Richard )t'
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

aishakali wrote:Have the best Christmas you can. Who knows if you will see another one. Whats the point of scrimping, life's too short )x2( )x6( )x5( )x3(

Sorry, I wasn't being flippant, just that whenever I've tried to save a bit of money I never see what I've saved! just seems to disappear. And I wish my Mum was here for Christmas {cry}
LYN
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Oh!

My not so near neighbour has just delivered a box of cupboard stuff. They are off to France, Spain and Australia for a couple of months, visiting their kids. I hadn't realised that they haven't seen one of them for about 5 years and have grandchild to meet.

He takes stuff from my garden gate stuff and has fed the chickens once or twice. His wife was looking for someone to give her baking stuff to, it will be out of date by the time they get back. So he boxed it up and brought it here. All sorts of goodies from flours to sparkly cake decorating stuff.

I'll have a bakeathon over the week and drop off some heavy fruit cakes at the foodbank. I might be able to borrow a catering kitchen so I might make some steamed puds too.

Then I can start playing with the more unusual bits. She has bread mixes, so I think we will be eating lots of seeded bread for a while :)