Tosca's frugal 2014

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
tosca100
Lively Laner

Tosca's frugal 2014

Post by tosca100 »

To set the scene....

We sold up and moved out to Bulgaria in May 2013. We have bought a (very) smallholding with a three bed, two shower house, numerous outbuildings and half an acre. So we have no mortgage or loans, direct debits or any debts at all. A lovely feeling. But...

...we have no income either, apart from a miniscule works pension. We have spent most of our capital setting up here, so frugality is a necessity, as is growing and processing as much as we can for us and the chickens. We don't smoke and drink very little other than the occasional beer which costs about 80p for two litres. We have enough soft furnishings and clothes and DIY and kitchen equipment to last us a good few years.

We have started on our frugal adventure, collecting meat trays, yoghurt pots and loo roll tubes for seedlings. Compost is well on the go. Next year I will be making more of my own yoghurt and cheese so I don't know what we will do for plant pots, but something will turn up. We don't have news papers so that's no option. We have also collected some seed though will have to do more next year. We have a large collection of seed which I bought with money received from a collection at work, many of them are things not generally grown here, but we want to try to work a way of growing British favourites to sell to ex-pats who are missing them. But we have months of temperatures in the mid thirties with little rain so it will be a challenge when most stuff grows in cool wet conditions.

So we'll see how we go on no budget! :-D
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Tosca's frugal 2014

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello. I've just been reading your blog, it's really good. I've put a link to it on my blog, so you may be getting some more visitors. Good luck with your new life.
Ilona
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Aww thanks Ilona, I didn't know I would enjoy writing it as much as I do, haven't written anything but letters to the bank since school a million years ago. And I can't believe how many people actually read it considering I don't push it as I started it for friends and family so they could keep up with what we are doing. Your comments are really appreciated.
perchy

Post by perchy »

I have had a look too, it is good, and a good way of remembering how things have changed and things that have and havn't worked. )t'
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I am also following your blog .I will put a link from mine.
I am interested in your seed saving as it is something I always intend doing but never get around to it or don't know how to do it properly (even though I have a book.)
I do use empty toilet roll centres for growing seeds like broad beans (they can then go straight into the ground in the container as they will dissolve in the end ) .and yoghurt pots for other seeds ..I also use the square trays that some pre packed food comes in , some even have holes in the bottom for seed trays.

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Thank you all for taking the time to check out the blog. Considering I was doing it for my own memory and to keep friends relatives up to speed with what we are doing, I have been amazed with the response and am up to nearly 15000 views. Unbelievable that anyone should want to read my ramblings never mind from so far away...and Bulgarians too!

Anyway, to the matter in hand. We bought four cell trays to start off some early roots and salads as we are told that tender planting happens in March(!) and as we are two feet under snow at the moment......Goodness knows if the outside peas and beans will survive the temperature but others are putting them straight in the ground.

We were round at our neighbours' house one night recently for rakia (which means wine and food as well) and she proudly showed me her tomato seedlings. I was really surprised but it seems Boxing day is the day for planting tomato seeds. Venka's were planted in a well used foil turkey roasting tray, hundreds of them. Then there are two other plantings to do, two months apart. So some of mine have gone in, as well as the pepper seeds I saved from last year, or more honestly the neighbour strung up to hang outside. They have been out in below freezing temperatures for weeks on end, as low as -13, but some have germinated in their yogurt pot. I have baulked at the okra but will do those next week when the temperature is supposed to be above freezing. Annual and perennial seedlings are up but we had put them in the greenhouse when they came up as they were leaning, but had to bring them in again so might lose some.

Here are some of the little mini greenhouses, with a bit of charcoal in the bottom, kept slightly dry. We have rather more now.

And the tesco greenhouse, bought for a tenner minus staff discount at the end of season sale.

I have bookmarked several blogs which I will get round to reading when I am not researching growing food in a new country, I promise.