Ilona's frugal 2014

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Ilona's frugal 2014

Post by Meanqueen »

I decided I had to do some food shopping yesterday, scraping the bottom of the freezer and the cupboard. As I was out and about anyway, I made a couple of stops, at Son of Morris and Aldidlydoo. Total £17.17. Two boxes of cat food and reduced sliced ham in that, for cats and dog. For me I got cabbage, eggs, >ch< cheese, tomatoes, >veg5< lettuce, coleslaw, bread, potatoes, bananas, melon, broccoli, mushrooms, soft cheese, cream crackers. That will last a week. I will get back to yellow sticker searches when I visit my friend this afternoon.

Had a letter from the Council, they have sent me another Council tax bill, much reduced from the last one they sent two months ago. My circumstances don't change from one year to the next, so I'm not sure why I have this new bill. :? They send details of how it's worked out, but it's all gobbldygook to me.

Bus pass renewed yesterday. It's been useful, hope to make more use of it in the next five years. Thinking of a bus pass holiday. )grin2(
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Good morning. I'm still scraping the bottom of the freezer and cupboard, trying to muster up some enthusiasm for a big shop to replenish dwindling stocks.

In the freezer I have four home made veg curries, half a bag of green beans, and two bread rolls. Other oddments are two bags of porridge oats, half a bag of potatoes, four onions, half a packet of cream crackers, and two boxes of bran flakes. Soft cheese, half a cabbage, half a lettuce, and one tomato in the fridge. Just eaten the last banana. No eggs left. Running low on soya milk. Need some fresh veg. Need to go shopping soon.

One B & B charge on the latest CC bill, the train fare home will be on the next bill. No other expected large bills in the next month. Maybe a second bill for gas and electric from Ebico, I am sending regular meter readings so they can establish a pattern.
Ilona +f+
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

You're going well Ilona.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I'm trying, Richard. Can't take my eye off the ball, can't splurge out on frivolous spending as a little bit is needed in the kitty in case of emergencies. Cat's being ill, car breaking down, saving up for the next one, replacing appliances.

I did go shopping last night at 8pm to the big Mr T. Found some very cheap fruit and veg. 2 bags of 1kg carrots for 1p each. 26 bananas for 21p, ha ha, gave some to my friend. A large swede for 1p. 2 plastic pots of mango 20p each. 2 bags of parsnips 11p. Bag of Braeburn apples 2p. Big bag mushrooms 14p.

Other items purchased, tins of baked beans, rice pudding, peaches. Frozen peas, cauliflower, broccoli, sweetcorn, veggie sausages. Fruit juice. Pickled onions. Bran flakes. Danish blue cheese. yogurt, plain and flavoured. Eggs. Tomatoes. Fresh Broccoli. Walnuts and ground almonds. Seeded bread. Milk. Then there was some cat food and treats for the cats, tuna and turkey slices. Managed to resist the biscuits and cakes.

Total spend £29, after a £2 voucher was deducted. There is enough for about two weeks. I will make stew out of the veg and freeze portions in margarine tubs. Might have to top up with bread later, and I forgot the soya milk, so I might get some of that if I am passing. I can always eat porridge instead of cereal.

I sent a cheque off today for £21, to book a stall at the Epworth Show. We fundraise for our cat rescue, selling donated goods, and my contribution is to pay for this show, transport the stock, and work all day on the stall. My two friends look after the cats in the pens, we all muck in together. We have a local show coming up soon that we have a stall at. They give it us free, and we usually do quite well at it. We are hoping for a dry and sunny day.
Toodle pip.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Good morning. Haven't done the Parkrun today, I'm getting ready to go out. It's the Open Day for Bransby Horses, a rescue not far from Lincoln. I like to go and support them.

I went to town yesterday to pay my credit card bill into the bank. While there I picked up a few bits and bobs from the discount stores, mainly pet related. Bee n Emm had two boxes of Felix pouches for £5, never pay full price for this. Some foil trays 5 for £1 to try, from Heron Frozen Food shop. I don't very often go in there, as they usually have very limited choice in pet food, but looking around I noticed that they are now stocking similar items to Bee n Emm, so worth a look now and then when I am near the bus station.

I took a bag of stuff to the Age Uk charity shop, and came away with a £1 ladies top. Everything is £1 in there, smaller items 2 for £1. The top is horrible, but it had lots of colourful beads on the front of it, they will come in very handy for crafting projects.

Got to go, bath is ready. Have a nice Bank Holiday weekend. Toodle pip.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I see that the RAC have helped themselves from my bank account last month. The direct debit came out, it was £2.50 more than last year, something that I can live with. I haven't used it very often during the 28 years I have been in it, though last year I had to be brought home on the back of a recovery truck, 90 miles, due to a broken spring. I wasn't on the back, I sat in the cab with the driver. {rofwl} I suppose I might be able to find a cheaper deal elsewhere, but to be honest I like the peace of mind knowing that I will be recovered if needed.

Just the usual bits and bobs of shopping, no major purchases looming. I bought two new wooden spoons for 70p, then found out that all I had to do was to sand the old ones down and they would be good for a few more years. Never thought of that. Anyone want to buy two new spoons, only £1 plus postage, ha ha.
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I changed to Green Flag when my daughter learned to drive. It worked out cheaper as they cover the car, not the driver - I think I got personal cover for OH and myself as well, when we had 2 cars. I've not really compared since then (20 years!). But I was very impressed at how quickly Green Flag came out, where AA (& RAC? can't remember) had left me waiting ages on the roadside. GF use approved local garages, AA had their own mechanics who you had to wait for.
Not needed it for ages (tempting fate).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Good morning. I added another pair of boots to my collection on Sunday, that makes eight.

I very rarely wear shoes, come to think about it I don't think I have any. I like my feet to be comfy so it's mostly boots and trainers, with a pair of sandals if it is hot and I need to look a bit ladylike.

My boot collection comes from car boot sales and charity shops. These were £5, never pay more than that, usually £2 - £3. I don't care if someone has worn them before me, at least they are broken in a bit. These are like new, the soles show hardly any wear.

The only time I buy boots from a shop is when I get real walking boots, usually pay around £90 for them. They have to be a good fit to cover the distances. No need to pay any more than that, some go to a couple of hundred.

Weather a bit dull today, some sewing I think. Toodle pip.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Oh dear, I've been neglecting this a bit. The truth is that I haven't been spending much money, so I suppose that's a good sign. I did a big shop last Thursday at the big Mr T. I timed it just right, arrived just as they were making the final reductions on the food about to go out of date, most of it was 90% off. I managed to get a good haul, lots of veg and salady stuff. I made a big pan of stew with two bags of prepared root vegetables ,10p each, and a 20p packet of sauce mix, ate one portion and froze the rest. Won't need to go shopping this week, I have loads of food in.

Emailed my meter readings to Ebico today. Not sure when the next bill will be arriving, might be soon.

I met up with family on Saturday and we had lunch out. I ordered from the childrens menu because I didn't want a full size meal. It was £6.25 for pasta and veg, and ice cream after. My drink of apple juice cost £2.40 yike* I can get four cartons for that price. I never buy drinks when I am out, always take my own, but in this instance I thought I ought to join in with the rest of them. When we stopped for a drink later in the afternoon I went walkabout to look at the canal, and drank my bottle of juice in my bag.

Toodle pip.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Good morning. I'm making meals out of what I already have in, trying to use up food in the freezer. I bought some frozen veg a couple of weeks ago to try it for taste. Not keen on broccoli or cauliflower, too mushy and tasteless. I steam my veg and test it with a fork to see when it is ready. Peas and sweetcorn are fine though, can't go wrong with them. The frozen veggie sausage and grill were ok-ish, a bit salty so I only eat them once in a while. All were Mr T Value, I don't believe in paying over the odds for brand names.

The water bill dropped through the door yesterday, Anglian Water seem reasonable compared to other parts of the country. For the period 12th December to 17th June the charge is £35. Seems to have gone up a bit from the last bill, strange as my habits haven't changed. Mind you I am watering the veg with it as no rain water left. Five cubic meters used, and part of the bill goes to Severn Trent for sewerage services.

Bit annoyed with Mr T. They have changed the recipe for their Value peanut butter, and it's now in a plastic jar instead of glass. It's not the same, looks a lot smoother, and now has palm oil in it. I tried a cheapo one once like that, it was horrible, so I won't be buying this new Value version. Might try making some instead. Also the soya milk I get which is normally 59p has now jumped to a whopping 75p. I have three cartons in my cupboard but when that has gone I shall be shopping round for an alternative, possibly in another shop. I won't give in without a fight, ha ha. Always ducking and diving, looking for something that is just as good but cheaper.
Toodle pip.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Good morning. A bit drizzly here, good for the veggies. Eating broad beans now, courgettes coming soon, runner beans will take a bit longer, waiting for potatoes to grow a bit bigger.

I was craving fresh veg so had to go shopping on Thursday night at the BIG supermarket. Hit it at just the right time, 7.30pm, lots of pickings in the yellow sticker department, which came to £3.10. Can't get much cheaper than that, full price £31. I bought a few other items as well, cat food and nuts were the most expensive. Total cost was £21.71. This should see me through the next ten days. I'm hoping to get away after that for a few days, if the weather is nice. Oh heck, just started raining.

I am in the happy position of being able to afford a few treats now. Still need to watch the pennies though, no spending willynilly on frivolous stuff. Each purchase has to be carefully considered.
Enjoy your Sunday.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I think it's time I had a few days away, I become agitated if I have to stay in one place for too long. I've booked a B & B for next week in the north east, for a city break. After lots of searching on the w w w, I made my choice, it's two miles outside of Durham.

I like to use hostels where I can, cheaper and they have all the basic amenities, but there aren't many of them. The Universities have rooms during July and August, but they don't all have parking onsite, and they don't all have wifi. I do not want to pay £5 to park my car in a public car park ten minutes walk away. My car will stay at the B & B and I will use public transport to get around.

It's better if I can post on my blog while I am away, saves doing it when I get home. I can charge up my dongle for a week when I know I will be on the move, but if I am based at one place, the wifi saves me a tenner.

I have booked three nights at £45 per night, that's single occupancy of a double room, en suite. I did look at some places that were around the £35 mark but that meant sharing a bathroom, and on street parking. I thought stuff it, the reason I am frugal is so I can have these little treats.
+f+
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I'm back, batteries recharged. The gas and electricity bill has landed from the new supplier, Ebico. All looks good, they sent a man to read the meters even though I am emailing them regular updates. I was reading on a forum that because they have no standing charge, they ramp up the unit price. I haven't compared what I pay with other suppliers but if anyone wants to compare my charge with theirs....

I used 13 units of gas, which converts to 145.08 kilowatt hours, at 5.15p which is £7.47 plus 37p vat = £7.84.

Electricity was more. I used 131 kwh at 15.91p which is £20.84 plus £1.04 vat = £21.88.

These are for the period 5th April to 3rd July.

I'm not that good at maths, but I think this looks a good deal for me, no standing charge, and no penalty for paying quarterly. It suits me because I am a low user. This isn't an advert, just reporting back in case it helps someone. Everyone's needs for energy are different.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Back again. I did a late shop on Saturday at Mr T, I had a voucher for £3 off a £20 shop, and I used a 65p voucher off for the frozen Quorn mince. Some savings on yellow stickers, spinach 15p, salad leaves 13p, mushrooms 4p, bread 9p. Total shop after vouchers was £18.32. A fridge full, will keep me going for a while. I made a pan of mushroom and spinach soup, )c+ it was lipsmackin lovely. )eat(

A friend gave me a bottle of homemade strawberry wine, I gave him some courgettes, I have loads of them at them moment so good for swaps. I also swapped courgettes for cucumbers with someone else, and another friend gave me a bottle of wine for watering their plants while they are on holiday.

I'm coming to the end of the broad beans, and the runner beans are ready now. Also I am firkling in the potato beds and pulling some out for my meals. Every little helps, and cuts down my supermarket visits.

I am grounded for a while, my cat sitter is away on holiday so I have to stay local. Might get a few days away mid August.
Toodle pip
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

"Firkling"???
Not heard that word but I think I do that. Not this year though as I had to cut the tops off because they had blight badly. The Earlies (Sharpes Express) gave a good crop of big spuds, but the Edwards were tiny, had hardly got going when I chopped them.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire