Ilona's frugal 2014

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Ilona's frugal 2014

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello. I did the 5k Park Run this morning and according to my reckoning I knocked a minute off my previous time. :-D All will be revealed when I go on the website later to check. I was struck down with a stitch again so I had to ease off with a bit of fast walking. Park Run is free, googlie it and register, then you can take part.

Yesterday I was helping my friend in her garden and afterwards called in at three food shops before I went home, in my search for yellow stickers. The small Mr T produced three items at knockdown price. Curly Kale 30p, Muller yogurts 59p, and two small yogurts 32p. On to the very cooperative store, fromage frais 29p, egg custards 29p, wholemeal bread rolls 25p, spinach 29p. Passing the Sparrrrr shop, my car screeched to a halt, it would be silly not to take a look inside. Bingo, first prize, 6 fr large eggs for 25p. )app( I base my meals on what I can buy cheap. Todays lunch was spinach and an onion done in a little oil, with two eggs broken into it and scrambled. On a slice of reduced bread, with some chopped cucumber. )x6(

I had an email from Southern Electric, the company that is working in partnership with Ebico. Somewhere along the way during the changeover they have the wrong opening reading for the electricity meter. They asked me to photograph my meters, and to confirm the numbers I sent them at the time of the changeover. Luckily I wrote this on my calendar so I was able to photograph that as well. I also sent copies of my last bill from British Gas, showing that they had overcharged me because they estimated the readings.

The reading they have (and I don'y know where they got it from), for my electricity meter is way higher than it should be. Their mistake not mine. Now they are saying they won't charge me for any electricity until my meter catches up with it. I'm trying to work out whether that will be in my favour or not. I have no idea when I will get the first bill. Confusing. :?
Toodle pip.
Ilona
anglynn
Lively Laner

Post by anglynn »

Energy can be mind boggling. When I lived in New York state National Grid was the carrier. Talk about robbing the people. I lived there most of my life, only recently moving to Virginia. Energy here is a lot less expensive. My son told me National Grid is being investigated for fraud and overcharging this past winter. So keeping an eye on energy bills has become a must do.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Two bills came in the post, gas and electricity. The gas one is about right, £45.60 for the period 12th January to 4th April, so I have paid that. The electricity bill is way over the top, due to incorrect start reading, so I am querying that. I'm still not sure whose fault it was, when I gave them the reading from leaving Brit Gas, I did it on the phone, and punched the numbers in to the automated call. I suppose there was a chance that I could have given the same number for both meters, but surely someone would have picked up on it. Or the mistake could have been at their end.

They have the correct start reading now, so surely they can amend the bill. I expect it to be around the £50 mark.

Still on with the yellow sticker shopping, but have had to do a top up shop of Value labels, running out of bran flakes, soya milk, peanut butter, and lemon curd. Not driving very far so my tank of fuel is lasting a bit longer, no need to fill up until I go on a longer journey. Friend gave me a bottle of wine for helping her with her garden, so that was a nice treat. Planted out some broad bean plants. Cut my own hair, saved money by not going to the hairdressers.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Email from the electricity company, amended bill is on it's way.

I went to help my friend in her new house yesterday. After I finished painting I called in at three shops to look for reduced items, (yellow stickers). No luck at all. It was 5pm and they had only knocked off 20 or 30p, not cheap enough for me. So I came away without spending a penny. I will eat what I already have in, seven portions of frozen veggie stew which I made from the last lot of cheap veggies. I've got pasta, noodles, rice, two big potatoes, a few onions, a few tins, two eggs, frozen peas and beans, frozen potato cakes, and frozen bread. I will be winding my food down a bit before I go on holiday.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

New electricity bill has arrived, and it's less than I expected. :-D After getting off to a shaky start with the new supplier I hope all is in order now and things will run smoothly from now on. I shall keep emailing my readings and writing them on the calendar, to keep track of things.

I called in at the big Mr T on the way back from a walk. A top up shop needed, some yellow stickers found. See they have dropped the price of cauliflowers to 50p, so I bought one. Found a reduced cabbage, will make some soup with that. A wholemeal loaf for 60p, half price, oh, and two bags of Value porridge oats, 75p per bag. I use this to thicken soups and stews as well as make porridge with it. £25's worth of petrol for the car.

Don't expect to spend anything this weekend, nowhere I want to go.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I washed my hair at the kitchen sink today, it's easier doing it there rather than the bathroom. I use a kettle full of hot water, half for washing, half for rinsing. Then I swept the kitchen floor and used the rinsing water to wash it. I prefer to get down on my hands and knees with a cloth and do it that way, then I know it's clean. Getting a second use out of a bowl of warm water, saves money. The cloth was half of an old tea towel.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I've just done a tot up on how much I've saved on yellow sticker shopping. As an experiment I've been keeping track on what I have been paying and the full price of the items I have bought. I started on 23rd March, writing it all down, up to the present day. I paid £17.75. The true cost was £68.10, a saving of £50.35. That's nearly a tank full of petrol, worth making the effort of calling in shops and supermarkets late in the day when passing.

Of course I did buy other food as well, but to be honest I haven't needed much else, except for the things that are never reduced. I'm going to carry on with the yellow sticker shopping and see how the savings mount up over a three month period. If I can get it to £50 a month every month, that's quite a considerable saving, £600 a year. )app(
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Some of the stickered stuff I buy I'd never dream of buying at full price. I'm not sure I could count that as a saving, or just the price diff compared to what I'd have bought instead.
Mind you, I am furious with the Ss Local near our dance club. We go in at 10.30 after locking up (no time to go before club), and there used to be all sorts of bakery products at 5p etc. French Sticks, croissants. Now they go round just before we get there, clearing the shelves into a big plastic bag for throwing away. What a waste - 30 mins before they shut, so even if we wanted to pay full price there is no fresh bread there.

Well done with your savings. We do the 'as I'm passing' too - don't like using petrol to shop.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Mo. I wouldn't pay full price for some of the posh food I get on a YS. People must have more money that sense to pay those prices. I suppose in theory I haven't saved any money, but it gives me chance to try things which I couldn't otherwise afford.

I was in Aldidly once and saw the assistant going through the shelves and removing all stock coming out of date and put it on a trolley. I had a nose through it. She said it wasn't for sale as it being written off. So annoying to see that. I assume it was going to get dumped.

I got a few yellow stickers yesterday, mainly veg, enough for a few meals. £1.27 paid.

A typical cheap meal for me. Eggs normal price £1 for 6.

Now I have to confess to spending some money, I bought four Ordnance Survey maps. Buy 1 get 1 half price. They will be useful for years to come though.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Good morning. It's countdown time, getting organised for my holiday. The reason why I am as tight as a ducks bottom when it comes to everyday living expenses, is so I have enough money to spend on what gives me pleasure. Some folks might like gourmet eating and fine dining, but for me it's yellow stickers and eating at home, which means the money saved goes towards having fun. Mind you, not everyone would class walking 100+ miles as fun, ha ha.

My holiday will be paid for with cash I have saved. I will put some of the B & B's on a card for convenience, but that will be paid as soon as the statement comes in. I estimate 7 nights might cost around £300. Sometimes I am lucky and find a small B & B for £30, other times I have to take what's available, and it might be a hotel for £50. I once had to pay £60 which I felt was a complete rip off, but after walking all day over Ilkley Moor, I needed to crash out. I have walked away from places if they have asked for £70, and gone looking elsewhere if there was a choice. A taxi driver and his wife offered me a bed in their home at Buxton once, for a lot less than a hotel. I can't save money by booking ahead because I don't know where I will be.

I usually eat everything on offer at breakfast time, (excluding meat), which sets me up for the day. I find I don't need anything else until mid afternoon, except drinks. I take a couple of small plastic bottles with me with watered down juice, and keep topping them up, buying a small carton of juice and diluting it. If there is extra toast at breakfast which I can't eat, I wrap it in a serviette for a snack later.

Mid afternoon I start looking for a village shop to pick up something for tea, then when I have found a B & B I have a picnic in the room. I don't have an evening meal because I know I will be filling my boots in the morning. I reckon I can get away with spending £5 - £7 a day on food.

My cat sitting lady is giving me a lift to the Humber Bridge, the starting point, and I shall get a train back from Penrith. The fare for that is about £26. I spent £28 on maps, for this trip, which will be useful for future walks.

That all comes in at just under £400. I suppose a package trip to the sun might be cheaper, but I like to feel I have achieved something, rather than sitting on a beach, and traipsing round tourist hot spots.

Must get on, things to do. Toodle pip.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello, I'm on holiday and still managing to be frugal. Yesterday I spent £2.10 on two cheese and onion pasties and a packet of donuts. Finished the second pastie tonight, and have one donut left for tomorrow. Today I splashed out a bit and spent £1.60 on a Magnum, I love them but only have them as treat. Chocolate and toffee, yum.

Last night my B & B was £30 at a farm, and tonight £35 at a guest house. I shouldn't be on this late, off to bed. Good night.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Maps are money well spent IMO. I love them. you can 'walk' them in your own home - then again when you're out.

Remind us of your blog address so that we can follow your walk.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Back off my holibobs. I was going to document my spending on here for the trip, but never found time. So, to summarize, £231.50 was the cost of eight nights B & B, the cheapest being a Youth Hostel at £21.50, and the dearest a very nice B & B at £50. Obviously the hostels are the cheapest, the facilities are basic but adequate, bed in a shared dorm, but I have to say the breakfasts are fantastic, lots of it and a good variety of food. It was also nice to have a treat in a more expensive B & B, en suite room, friendly and helpful owners, and cleanliness to five star standard.

I was not able to book in advance so had to take what I found. The actual cost of accommodation came in much lower than my estimate of £300. However, I was stung on the train fare back home. It is not a good idea to walk into a train station and buy a ticket, a whopping £75 to get home, OUCH and DOUBLE OUCH! I couldn't book in advance because I didn't know how long the walk would take me. The only way to get over this problem is to commit to a specified number of days, but that would take the enjoyment out of it for me. I like the flexibility of choosing how far to walk each day.

I bought my food daily from small shops because I couldn't carry a lot. Spent an average of £4 a day on food I could eat while on the move. Never had an evening meal, can't go to bed on a full stomach. Mind you I have to confess that I almost fainted one evening after eating a sandwich in the pub I was staying at, or could it have been the half of Marstons bitter which caused it. After getting checked out by paramedics, (landlady called them), I was declared fit, but told to eat and drink more. I did as I was told, and no further incidences occurred. My fault for not eating enough.

I have some food in the house, can't be bothered to go shopping at the moment. Have some frozen veg stews to eat. How's the money saving going with everyone else? For me it is never ending, making sure I have enough for what I want to spend it on.
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Meanqueen wrote: Mind you I have to confess that I almost fainted one evening after eating a sandwich in the pub I was staying at, or could it have been the half of Marstons bitter which caused it.

The price of drinks in pubs does that to me, too!