I'm so tight I...........

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

I'm so tight I...........

Post by Richard »

:-D

A fun thread for serious things you do which may seem so frugal it's tight !!

Here's one of mine.

I actually count the lumps of Taybrite I use each evening in the Rayburn.

Normal winter weather - 30.

Very cold winter days - 35

Richard :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: I'm so tight I...........

Post by Totally Scrambled »

That's not tight.
That's OCD )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I'm so tight I . . .

Switch on the upstairs landing light only when distributing clean washing about the various rooms. I can see well enough to do this without putting on any further lights. PLEASE don't tell anyone. I'm so ashamed.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I 'feel' my way to the loo in the night, never switching the light on in either the bedroom or landing. :oops:
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

But none of those are tight. You are all 'environmentally aware'. And not just saving leccy, making the light bulbs last longer.

Mine is just having the central heating on for a short while in the morning, making OH use a fan heater in just the room he's in most of the time (though it might not help if he forgets to turn it down when the room is warm).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
anglynn
Lively Laner

Post by anglynn »

Gwenoakes wrote:I 'feel' my way to the loo in the night, never switching the light on in either the bedroom or landing. :oops:

LOL I do that too. I take it a step further, but it's embarrassing! {rofwl}
wendy

Post by wendy »

I don't turn the lights on either, in any of the rooms when I go to the loo of a night.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Me neither. I rarely turn a light on unless I really need to whereas hubby will turn a light on for me because HE thinks I can't see properly! }hairout{ I have, however, bought a low energy night light that comes on as soon as it gets dark & goes off because dawn as our bathroom is downstairs and I don't want to break my neck in the middle of the night! It's proving a godsend when I get up to take wriggly pup out at some unearthly hour!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

anglynn wrote:
Gwenoakes wrote:I 'feel' my way to the loo in the night, never switching the light on in either the bedroom or landing. :oops:

LOL I do that too. I take it a step further, but it's embarrassing! {rofwl}

You CANNOT leave it like that, anglynn. Just PM me, I promise I wont tell. )t'

+pinn+
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

A few years ago I spent a few weeks in my mother's house while she was in hospital - from the bedroom to the landing, there was a step down (actually the top step from the stairs which was about 2 feet square) and a step up to the bathroom directly opposite. As you can imagine, I wouldn't bother putting the light on and would just stride across the middle bit. Once I forgot my nightie hemline at shin height wasn't quite wide enough and my foot missed the step opposite {rofwl}

On a serious note though - when I went home and in the middle of the night needed to pay a visit to the loo ... which was downstairs in the bathroom extension ... I stood at the top step ready to stride across (still half asleep) yike* To this day it makes me feel sick just remembering what could have happened if I hadn't paused to put the light on.

I can't think of anything to add that I do that cannot be explained as frugal or recycled. We get at least one or two charity bags a week shoved through the door - I used to leave the bag on the doorstep but they were never collected, so now I use them to put rubbish in for the dustbin.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I don't wash up, I just lick the plates and cutlery clean and put them away.

Actually, I dont, but I know I have a couple of very 'tight' habits but just can't think of them +f+
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Helen - and you had all the Mods for Lunch and Tea one day yike*

If you have a black carpet and a 1st5lbs black cat who often sits on the stairs.....you always switch the light on :-D :-D

I never wash my Coffee Cup until the end of the day, just rinse it a bit with the boiled kettle water and keep using. My daughter thinks this is funny, especially when I'm looking for it and she's already put it in the Washer!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
manda

Post by manda »

I have a soap dish and collect all those bits of soap so I can make a lump big enough to use as soap )sh

Oh and is it just me (or NZ) but I'm sure Imperial Leather (which is the soap we HAVE to buy because hubbu only likes that one) used to have a sticky out bit with the Imperial leather "label" on and now it's recessed.....I feel robbed and it was also handy because you stood the soap on it!
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

manda wrote:I have a soap dish and collect all those bits of soap so I can make a lump big enough to use as soap

My soap bits go into a shampoo bottle with a splash of water and get used as liquid soap.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I put everything on the fire that cant be recycled. It drives Terry mad. He is always telling me I am just increasing the amount of times we have to have the chimney swept, me.............I dont agree, obviously. {rofwl}

Have never noticed the sticky out bit on the Imperial Leather soap, Manda, but if you put soap in the warm airing cupboard it seems to last longer. I cant do this now as have no hot water tank. I always put candles in the fridge too, as read somewhere that they take longer to burn, not sure if that is true though.