Pallets (or other) for raised beds

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Pallets (or other) for raised beds

Post by Freeranger »

Hedgehugger, sometimes you see something that is seemingly such a simple idea that you almost feel stupid for not having thought of it yourself. I felt like that when I saw your photos. These ideas were such an ingenious use of the pallets for least effort that I was really impressed and will use them myself. Will you take copyright fees in carrots?
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I got lucky. I spotted two huge, big, long, heavy, clean pallets at a house that is being renovated, next to the club car park, last week. No one is there Monday to Friday, they only work on it at the weekends. Sunday morning they were there, so I asked about the pallets. No they didn't want them, I could have them.

I took my car round there, estate ish with a tailgate, thought they would fit in. Wrong, too wide. Popped round to my friend, he has a Mercedes estate, might fit in there, a bit wider than mine. He said, I'll take the dogs a walk and go and have a look.

Half an hour later I'm sitting at my table looking out of the window, and two blokes are heading towards my house carrying a big pallet, ha ha, looked funny. Then they went back to get the second one. They are now drying off in my garage. The man from the house looked inside, and said, blimey, I know where to come if I want something. {rofwl} I've got all sorts of stuff stashed in there.

Ilona
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

You have two burly blokes drying in your garage? You lucky girl, you!
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Hee Hee {rofwl}
dreamywings
Learner Laner

Post by dreamywings »

I managed to get some pallet collars from a local factory that they didnt want. Theyre great for raised beds.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

)like(

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Now that I have a bigger car I can stop and pick up a pallet if I see one. I got two last week. :-D
Ilona
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Sorry for digging this thread up but have to say that pallets are brilliant - I have made my raised beds from them, the new chicken house internals and floor, bug boxes, bird boxes, shelves and made my own fruit boxes from them (especially good for birthdays and Christmas instead of wrapping paper!)

Must say though, and it was a bit pricey but well worth it, the best buy for pallet dismantling I ever bought was a reciprocating saw. Metal blade in and it cut through the nails in seconds. Old screw driver and hammer to tap the heads out and you have a lot less broken bits.

I now take it with me, with a wood blade, and cut pallets in half so I can get more into the car at once!

Pallets - love them!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Ryan

Good positive post )t'

It would be great to see some pictures of your work.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Apologies if this is a bit image heavy but here are a few photos I have on my instagram, will grab a few more in the morning from the phone. Love messing with pallets - they may not be the most refined results but I am chuffed with them:

My daughters nail varnish shelf after a LOT of sanding!:

Base of chicken house:

And now with the floor in:

A couple of small bug beds from offcuts and the bird box:

A small fruit / veg storage box with drawers (now has a top as well!):

Herb shelves just outside the back door (now up to 4 shelves!):

A small tables and some low benches (with foam and a dog!)

Raised beds on the right hand side (left hand side made from an old roof taken off Tescos when they were replacing it!!):

Small seed tray (those are 9cm square pots):

Larger fruit box type thing (nearly lost the top of my thumb making this one!):
Richard

Post by Richard »

Blimey Ryan, they are really inspiring.

Great stuff !!

Richard )t'
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Thanks Richard - I enjoy tinkering over a weekend, even better if something useful comes out at the end of the day!

I keep meaning to record something being made and maybe put some plans together so I can remember the next time round, but to date - nothing like that has happened!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Some people collect shoes, your daughter seems to go for nail varnish. There surely can't be that many colours.

You have been busy - and we'll be queueing up with requests if you've done enough for your house.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Mo wrote:Some people collect shoes, your daughter seems to go for nail varnish. There surely can't be that many colours.

I didn't think so either Mo, but I was obviously wrong but once you through in the matt finish, the gloss finish, the glitter, the gel......you know where I am going.

Mo wrote:You have been busy - and we'll be queueing up with requests if you've done enough for your house.

I may need to go find some more pallets then :D