Avoiding False Economies.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

yes shoes Richard )t'

i bought a pair of bob the builder type boots four years ago and they have only just about had it as before i got my wellies i was cleaning out the chooks with them on they were cheap £20 so thats not to bad, but on the other hand i bought a nice looking pair of every day boots last year and the toe has gone already )de: and they leek.

so going to invest in a good solid pair this year and hope they last :)

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Yeap, it's the things which are important to you in life and feet are essential - have bad feet and life's not so good etc.

It's decision making isn't it. ie. Do I buy three really cheap T-Shirts which will last me the same amount of time as one good one.

11 month's ago I brought a new Toaster from T.esco for £3.15 and it's still going strong.
Say it packs up after 18 month's, that's £2 per year for it's useage.
I could buy a really 'good' one with a brand name for £20 and it'll last me 4 years - at £5 per year.

etc.etc.

Richard
Last edited by Richard on 03 Nov 2008, 11:12, edited 2 times in total.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Richard wrote:Cost effectiveness - yes there are many things where paying a bit extra will be better in the long run and shoes are a good example of this I think.

Even that doesn't always follow though, leather sole shoes are not cost effective even though they are expensive cos the bloomin' soles wear out so quick )dwn:

Best ones I have bought from Cotton-Traaaaders, slip on suede shoes £12.49 a pair in their sale, last for ages and ages and dead comfy too )t'
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ah, I didn't say anything about leather. For boots I always buy synthetic, for me they're more comfortable.
I buy Walking Boots and use those in the garden.

I wear formal shoes about three times a year and a Cricketer gave me some old ones - they know me well !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We play tunes in a pub once a month, over the bar is chalked
"Buy a good bed, and a good pair of shoes. You spend all your life in one or the other"
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

Mo wrote:We play tunes in a pub once a month, over the bar is chalked
"Buy a good bed, and a good pair of shoes. You spend all your life in one or the other"

lol
Richard

Post by Richard »

That is so very true Mo.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I agree about shoes. I know that Dr, M's boots are expensive, but my first pair did me my entire teenage years, I'm still wearing a pair I inherited when I was 15 (and I think I was the 4th owner!!) and another pair I got when I was 16. And they are still in VERY good condition!!!!!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I spent £54 on a pair of dr martens about 8 years ago, steel toe cap, 10 holes, and they're still going strong. and I've worn them almost every day for all those years, apart from really hot weather when I wear nothing.
Best boots I've ever bought, and now you can find them online for about the same price I paid for them then.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...