Cheaper or not ?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Cheaper or not ?

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

Hi , it's been awhile , just wondering if anybody
Still shops at Markets , Butchers , or Greengrocers
Etc
I appreciate these shops are quite rare , but I find it cheaper
to shop at these than the Supermarkets.
That's feeding a Family of five and weekly shop.
I then pop into my local supermarket for milk and anythin
else, hopefully reduced if I go a certain time..
I find this cheaper by at least £15...
FM
saint-spoon

Re: Cheaper or not ?

Post by saint-spoon »

Sometimes it is cheaper, sometimes not; you have to be quite savvy. I use a couple of my local Asian supermarkets for oriental foodstuffs because on the whole they are much better value than the supermarkets and because they have a wider range they are much better quality. Soy sauce for instance, I can by 750ml of a top brand Chinese soy sauce for the same price as a 250ml bog standard of a-moy. It tastes much better and is much cheaper. My local fruit and veg shop is also much cheaper, I think because they are not tied to the size/shape/colour constraints that the supermarkets insist on, the fruit also tastes nicer.
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

It all depends what you buy, and no two people buy exactly the same items so it's difficult to compare. I eat a lot of fruit and veg and find Mr T the cheapest because I go at 7.30pm. I also buy a lot of their Value range, for instance a 750grm box of bran flakes is 88p, perfectly acceptable. I sometimes call in at Aldiddly and pick up the odd cauliflower or broccoli if they are on the 'super six' offer. Can't comment on butchers independent or otherwise as I don't eat meat.

If anyone eats a lot of junk food around here the Cash and Carry is the cheapest. I pop in to have a look and only pick up fruit juice, sesame seed oil, or packet sauce mixes.

The discount chains are best for cleaning products, don't ever buy them at the supermarket. Also pet food at b-n-m or hoam bargins have some good prices, as do the pet store in our market.

I go to the Asian shop for rice, beans, lentils etc, but I have noticed their prices creeping up after they had the refit.

It's all about what you buy and knowing your prices. In answer to your question, no I don't find it cheaper to shop at small independent stores. Cherry picking the best prices from all the shops works for me, but then I have the luxury of time to do that.
Ilona
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

Thanks for the replies.
I guess my way of thinking is that to feed my family of 5 is that I buy what is called a freezer
Pack from my local, butcher, which contains 6 decent portions of.meat.
Always enough to extend to one weeks supply =£25.
Then at my local market I pick up my Veg and fruits, which comes to around. £15.
So then we have a decent meal per day.
I then pop to a poundstore for juice and toiletries=£8.
Total so far =£48..
I then pop along to a well known superstore and basically get anything else hopefully with reduced
Stickers , bread , milk , school lunch .. few goodies and cereals.which normally is £20.

Total=£68.00. For Two adults and three kids...(that never stop eating) :-D
I'm not by anyway the most frugal shopper , but when I shop in a supermarket. I spend much more.
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

Oh and if I'm honest , a four pack of a particular superstore own brand beer.=£3.10 :oops:
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

Well , you gotta treat yourself. :-D
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

FRUGAL MASTER wrote:Oh and if I'm honest , a four pack of a particular superstore own brand beer.=£3.10 :oops:

perhaps I have a poor palette, but I don't mind the asda smartprice lager for £1 - I bought a 4 pack just for making shandy, and actually liked it as is. Has a low alcohol content but I don't mind