Paying more to get the best ?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Paying more to get the best ?

Post by Richard »

This is a bit of a wide open question, but I'm wondering what things you would rather pay more for to get something you can be more sure about.

Cost effectiveness I suppose.

PC's, Laptops, Tablets,
I'll get a brand I know and if that means paying more, I'll pay it.
Even the top Manufacturer's have special offers now and again.

Cameras
Same as above - I go Panasonic, Leica lens and at present, about the best in the mid range models

Clothes
I'll buy what I like. If that means spending an extra £10 on an item, I will
(I have some pride left!!)

Just examples really.

Do you forget the bank balance when it comes to certain things ?

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Paying more to get the best ?

Post by Gwenoakes »

Very occassionally I will buy because I just like something. In fact have just ordered a very nice long cardigan off line that is really expensive :oops: But I really, really like it and I know it will last me years.

Terry doesnt like going shopping with me because I am almost certain to be heard saying on more than once, 'I am NOT paying that!'

But when it comes to the children, all grown up now, Terry or the animals, price has no object although I will try to find the cheapest if I can, but if I cant then I get it for them anyway.

Me thinks there is a bit of a contradiction going on above. LOL

I have just gone back to Vosene shampoo as my thread, but in my defence have had a number of years on the cheaper shampoos.

Looking at what I have put above I think that a lot of it comes from how I was brought up, constantly being told no without any reason and never feeling as though I was once put first by Mother, but who knows, eh?
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I think Shoes are a good example, something which is personal to the purchaser and if it means spending extra to be comfortable, thus having healthier feet, spend it !!

Certain parts of our anatomy are important, so where we can afford it, paying more is beneficial, even comfortable underwear.

Saying that I go for lower end cost Wellington Boots. I don't wear them often.
Hunters would be nice but totally unjustified!

I'll try on loads of Shoes or Trainers before I buy and never look at the cost until I've found the right ones.

I purchased some nice Asics Trainers the other day at the Designer Outlet.
I went by the above method and they were £89 reduced to £40, so I did well, about middle of the road.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I am with you on shoes, with trainers I almost always have asics ones these days, before it was reebok but you need comfy trainers. I am also one for Merrill walking shoes and have a pair of them as does Mrs Spoon. I also love My Doc Martin boots, they are the most comfy thing ever once you have broken them in. I tend to buy jeans that are either Ben Sherman or Wrangler because they fit nicely but T-shirts, shorts, mumpers and stuff can come from Asdburies for all I care, I get all of my socks and pants from asda. I did splash out on a Berghaus Gortex jacket which is fantastic, but it is great quality and has been an excellent investment keeping me dry on my walk to work during some pretty nasty weather over here in Vlissingen (Holland).
When it comes to fishing equipment, I have a few brands that I like and trust… unfortunately that doesn’t fit in with frugal as they do tend to be the best or at least the best within reason.
I think with things that you are going to use regularly it pays to buy the best quality that you can afford because the items will most probably last longer. Our sauspans are hard anodised ones from a pretty good name and I am so glad that Laners advised me on them all those years back, they have been fantastic and are still in excellent condition, I have had cheap sets before and they don’t last. Saying that I have got a collection of Sabatier knives collected over the years and some of the are pretty expensive… but my Chinese cleaver bought from the Chinese supermarket for a little over a fiver is fantastic.
)c+
Bah Humbug
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'd definately rather get better makes that are reduced than cheap ones - when poss.
I have some problems with my feet so I started paying more for good quality shoes
and boots, since I have been doing this I'm sure I've saved money because they
last years!
And food, I buy organic as much as I can, I think what goes inside is even more
important than what goes outside. Plus we're a fussy lot we like Heinz & Kelloggs
the cheaper own brands stay on the shelf till they go out of date so are a waste
for us!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Shoes - buy a good fit, comfortable shoe. Price not relevant (unless it was hand-made, diamond studded)
Food - some own brands are rubbish, some I can't tell the difference.

Fortunately my frugal habits in the past mean I can buy what I want (within the boundaries of my still-frugal mindset)
OH has a saying if told that some thing costs, say, £2
"A pound!!!?? Where would I get 50p from?!"
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

For computing, playing music and camera, I will wait until I can afford a reliable make.

I agree that cheap shoes are not an option as they are a false economy and don't do my feet any good. Even then, I have to feel that they are worth what is being asked for them. Sometimes I do begrudge paying extra for a certain name.

Other items of clothing, I am happy to pay less for, even if they don't last so long. An outfit for a special occasion is an exception.

As far as food goes, I cook most things myself. I only occasionally buy expensive food, but do only buy a good piece of steak for instance and have a really cheap meal on another day to enable me to pay for it.

I don't buy rubbish, but some things I will buy as cheap as possible in order to have an occasional splurge. I still have my housekeeping in my purse and what I have saved at the end of the week is mine for my occasional luxury. This is how I bought my computer and camera and it gives me a great sense of satisfaction to have bought them this way and on having bought the ones that I wanted.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

maybe a little )ot: but I am finding myself asking the same sort of questions... me and my OH are buying our house and his mum has offered to give us some money to get started and to buy some white goods etc. but what do we do, do we use the money, buy new appliances and have worry free years of use or do we buy second hand, save the extra cash to put towards other expenses but then worry about having to replace what we've brought 8 months down the line?!?
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

juilly wrote:
maybe a little )ot: but I am finding myself asking the same sort of questions... me and my OH are buying our house and his mum has offered to give us some money to get started and to buy some white goods etc. but what do we do, do we use the money, buy new appliances and have worry free years of use or do we buy second hand, save the extra cash to put towards other expenses but then worry about having to replace what we've brought 8 months down the line?!?

Only a personal opinion, but I would go for new, unless you know who your buying the secondhand goods from which would give you some idea of they're reliability!. Or you could scout around for ex-display appliances!, a lot of outlets like the big DIY stores when they change their display kitchens & bathrooms, often offer the ex-display appliances at a reasonable discount!, and still offer a guarantee. )t'

>gl<
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.