Heating suggestions??

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Well us oldens could say - it wren't like that in our day - if you see the eye's watering turn heater on !!

Mind you, all three of mine lived for quite a few years without Central Heating. We used to warm the room before bedtime and check them before we went to bed.

In fact, working it out, I've been without it for 57 out of 60 years.

But, times change and I respect that. (but there was hardly any Asthma then !).
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

I have the radiator off in my daughters room as she wakes up really snuffley if on,she has a hot water bottle in to warm the bed up then just the quilt and fleecy blanket.Have done this since a year and she is 5 now.She really suffers if she stays at my mum in laws as she has the heating on all night fr arthritis
Karen
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Its a worry with little ones, but I think its healthier to have a cooler room. When we were kids we used to draw patterns in the ice on the inside of our bedroom windows :-D We didn't get central heating until I was in my late teens and I don't remember feeling cold.

We have our bedroom window open all year round, and in the winter my bedside clock thingy can read as low as 55 degrees. The boys say our room is freezing but its fine with me.

I had a little oil filled radiator in my last house before we got married as there was no heating upstairs. Hubby was still using it 20 years later when he was working in the garage. Sadly it died and had to go to the tip.
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

I usually heat just one room - not worth bothering with the rest of the house.

The oil-filled radiator is OK, and I've used one for a couple of years.

However ... best of all is a Halogen Heater. It's the best!

They're not that common in stores - I only saw one once at the beginning of autumn/winter, so bought it as I had heard great things from a friend. I think it cost £20.

On the box it says it costs 3p per hour to run. Obviously electricity has gone up since then, but I can honestly say that I did not notice the increase in my electricity bill.

So the oil-filled radiator is in the attic.
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Forgot to say:

The only drawback I can see for using a halogen heater is that as it is based on light, the heater emits a lot of light. So perhaps not a good idea for a sleeping baby. But great for any other occasion - this is now the 2nd winter I've had mine, and I would readily buy another if the chance arose.
mikey
Lively Laner

Post by mikey »

Just a note ref fan heaters, they can only use a set amount of electric in a set time. A lot of people think they are very dear to run but a 1 kw fan heater can use no more than a 1kw oil filled rad or convecter heater, if a stat is fitted then you can turn down the amount been burned. Hope this is of some help
Mike
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

We find a fan heater the quickest way to warm up a room, and then they either cut out with the stat, or you have to switch them off cos its too hot )t'

Not suitable inside a bathroom but you could plug it in outside the room and face it into the bathroom :-D