Painting cupboards

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Painting cupboards

Post by Willow »

Just a quick tip for anyone with tired looking cupboards..
Rather than splashing out on new ones (even 'just' the doors can cost a small fortune) the quickest and cheapest way to totally spruce up a kitchen is to paint the doors..
Unless you're very good with a brush, its extreemly hard to get a good finish.
Try this - clean the surfaces really well (cheap sugar soap is excellent) apply a thin undercoat and invest about £2.00 in a small sponge roller set, use this to apply the gloss / matt/ satin paint and you will get a really good streak and run free finish..
By the way - if the surfaces are uneven or have had to be filled etc.. then matt or satin paint will show imperfections off far less than gloss.. )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

hi tina

i spruced my kitchen cupboards up about three years ago with sticky backed covering..sort of wood effect ..couldn,t paint as the doors had a shiny plastic film on them...they still look good....just the hinges and drawer fronts need sorting now.....been asking hubby for new kitchen for a few months now...might get one ..one day!!!!

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

That's a great way to change your kitchen without costing a fortune. I like painted kitchens, they are very homely. We stayed in a cottage in Cornwall once, it had light green and blue painted cupboards with open shelves on the walls - I loved it.

We have an oak kitchen that was installed 16 years ago - when we had the house valued recently they said it was a bit 'dated', well we still like it, its lived in :-D
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Kateg, our kitchen was left by the previous owner, also oak and pretty dated.. but I like the old fashioned look so I painted it all cream, tiled the splashbacks and it looks pretty good now - well a lot better than it was anyway! I'll see if I can get some picks on here...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

The good thing about painting is that you can then paint stuff like wooden bread bins & stuff to match it..

Albert Einstein
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

wow

that does look really good..well done )t'

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Thanks Tina.. you mentioned a shiny plastic you couldnt paint on? if you get the right undercoat, you can paint on practically anything..
These cupboards were part varnished, partly bare wood where the varnish had been scrubbed off over time.. they had stains, dents, cracks you name it - just ancient well used and very tired looking.. I wish I had a 'before' picture..
The chap who owned the house before us had lined every wall in the kitchen with plastic cladding which we couldnt get off!! If anyone needs a tip on how to tile over it, give me a shout!!

Albert Einstein
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi tina (f+ (f+ (f+

lovely big kitchen )t' )t'

good job :) :)

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

jo68 wrote:

lovely big kitchen )t' )t'

jo x

Thanks.. good job is it big (though its not as big as it looks on the pic), when the weather was very bad, we had five cats, two dogs, 12 chooks and Tony n' me drying out in it!!

Albert Einstein
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Oh that looks lovely, really country kitchen - I love the tiles too. You have made it so nice. Just shows what can be done without having to spend a fortune replacing all the units )t' )t'
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Thanks, the original plan was to 'distress' it or rub bits of it down to the wood to make it look really old.. but I got out voted :?

Albert Einstein
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

That's a tricky look to get right, I wanted to do it on some cupboards but they just looked messy! I think it looks just right as it it :-D
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

wow thats beautiful!! It looks like a brand new kitchen, well done you!!
Badger_Lady
Lively Laner

Post by Badger_Lady »

I haven't got a kitchen - well, I've got a large room with a sink and a pool table in it! So far I've managed to:

- Find an electric cooker in someone's front garden (and got their permission before taking it!). The bottom's rusted away so it has to be propped up on stones, but works a treat.

- Got some old kitchen carcasses on Freecycle - I made friends with a nice couple on their who are now expecting their first child and need to clear the garage. My neighbour took my round in his van so we could collect.

- Got some smart solid wood doors - shaker style ones, in cream, from another neighbour who was "sprucing up" theirs.

- Talked to a colleague's husband about fitting it. Quite a high estimate, but probably worth it considering the materials have all been free!

- Used a learning fund through work to enrol on a "basic construction" course, which includes plumbing, carpentry, joinery and plastering. Hopefully enough for me to give it a decent finish :)

I'll post up pics when it's all finally done!
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

Lovely kitchen Tina, you have done a good job there.
Given me ideas for mine as its looking very tired and we got a quote for a new one and I needed oxygen to recover from the shock of how much they wanted.

Evie