shopping is scary

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
lochernepioneers
Learner Laner

shopping is scary

Post by lochernepioneers »

went shopping to supermarket today , got loaf of bread,6 bread rolls,cold meat for sarnies,and 3 packets of soup £8.90.

So looking forward to growing alll my own veg and keeping chickens .roll on April.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: shopping is scary

Post by mrs boodles »

Shopping doesn't get any easier or cheaper does it.
manda

Post by manda »

I'm not in the UK but have you seen this.... might be helpful (I'm going to see if there's one for NZ).
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

Haha Manda, I don't think that site would save me money! I've just discovered tons of expensive vegan-friendly processed rubbish that I never knew existed {rofwl}

All that choice is what makes shopping scary, I think I spend a good bit less on food shopping than average because I either can't or won't eat most of what's available in my local shops.
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
manda

Post by manda »

Oh dear {rofwl} {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
perchy

Post by perchy »

I don't buy much meat anymore for various reasons, I don't buy cooked meat for sandwiches ro baguettes I think it is very expensive, it is often cheaper to buy a joint of meet cook it and then slice and freeze, more of an outlay initially but saves lots in the long run, been making my own bread for some time now, no waste and big enough for 2 of us

except when I cut the top off warm and eat it quick +f+
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

yike* Cut the top off?

I can eat almost a whole loaf of fresh home made bread, so I try not to make it!

As for expensive shopping, I have been mainly shopping in my local farm shop recently, and as I only buy what I really need, it hasn't worked out too bad.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

online grocery shopping is saving me money. I never thought I'd be able to say that.

I think it's because:

I make a list, order that and only buy other stuff if it's on very special offer

S****bury's have a midweek pass which means that the delivery prices equal approximately what it would cost me to drive into town and back.

I plan the meals for the week before ordering which means that I don't buy any perishable items on spec that later have to be thrown away because they've gone past their sell by date.

Probably I'd shop online anyway because I hate all forms of shopping and the lugging it into the car boot, out of the car down the path and into the house but the nice man just pops it all on the kitchen table.

He's just been today, and everything is already away.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

bmpsands wrote:online grocery shopping is saving me money. I never thought I'd be able to say that.

I plan the meals for the week before ordering which means that I don't buy any perishable items on spec that later have to be thrown away because they've gone past their sell by date.

You've just made me choke over my dinner. Everything on my plate is past it's sell by date. Spinach raw, beetroot, spring onions, radishes, and potato salad. There is nothing wrong with it, perfectly edible. Everything I buy, I eat. Nothing gets thrown away.
Ilona
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I'm choking now Ilona - possibly I didn't use the correct words. Bananas that have gone beyond brown to black, random packets of suet that I find at the back of the cupboard that are approximately 6 months out of date, coleslaw that is a month out of date because it got hidden behind the cheese box and I never did do that salad lunch because the weather turned chilly . . .

Cheese, yog, vegetables, fruit, frozen stuff - if it still looks and smells OK I'll eat it.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Ha ha. To avoid random stuff getting lost at the back of a cupboard I do a stock check every few days. Check dates, if close to sell buy, eat immediately. I don't buy packets of things where I will only use a bit of for one recipe. Saying that, I don't use recipes, my meals are made up from whatever I have in.
Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Fancied a desert last night so I opened up a can of Ambrosia Creamed Rice.

Thought the colour was a bit odd.

The sell by date was October 2013 :-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

I wanted to make a sauce when I was at my Mum's the other week so I asked her if she had any flour and she pulled out a full bag which was dated June 2012. Now I know she's not keen on cooking but how can anyone not use any flour at all for two and a half years?
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Richard wrote:Fancied a desert last night so I opened up a can of Ambrosia Creamed Rice.

Thought the colour was a bit odd.

The sell by date was October 2013 :-D

Richard

Ooh I've got one of those lurking at the back of the cupboard, and some other old
tinned stuff years old, I thought tinning it kept it edible for years! had it really gone
off Richard? perhaps I need to do a clearout!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant