pans for use on my woodburner

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

pans for use on my woodburner

Post by bmpsands »

I've taken to slow cooking etc on the flat top part of our woodburner. At present, mainly this is using my oldest pan in case any damage is done. After 2 years almost I've decided that this pan must go but . . .

What is the best type of pan for use on a woodburner that is really for heating. I can't afford copper but will follow any suggestions from experts.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
tosca100
Lively Laner

Re: pans for use on my woodburner

Post by tosca100 »

I use my normal stainless steel or circulon pans for two years, they cope fine and look as good as ever. Have also used my individual Le Creuset, but wouldn't fork out for them as they are not necessary.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

bmpsands wrote: After 2 years almost I've decided that this pan must go but . . .

Why???
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

I wonder that too...if it's working OK I'd stick with what you've got...if it's not then maybe something like a legless dutch oven would be good...cast iron...ideal for slow cooking.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

The pan I'm using was non-stick at one time but is now scratched quite badly. As a result of the non-stick wearing off food now "catches" really easily which is annoying and doesn't help the flavour. I assume that the underlying metal isn't much good.

If normal pans aren't being harmed by use on top of the stove, as Tosco says, then I think I'll start using some of my existing pans.

Thanks for the input.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

I just use normal pans and haven't had any bother, though the handles obviously get punishingly hot and I sometimes forget {rofwl}
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)