from the gate egg sales question......

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
dreamywings
Learner Laner

from the gate egg sales question......

Post by dreamywings »

Hi
I have 10 girls and have been selling my excess eggs from my front gate. I dont date stamp the eggs. My question is.....Can I sell eggs to a lady who will use them to make cakes for a cafe?
Thanks in advance x
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: from the gate egg sales question......

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I'm pretty sure that such sales have to come from "properly" registered flocks with all the MAFF diktats adhered to.
I also think that you are not allowed to sell home produced eggs but can give them away. Of course if someone was to donate money afterwards that's OK.
I suppose if home produced eggs went to someone who then used them commercially without them telling the person they got them from and there were health problems as a result then only the user would be liable.
Hope that makes sense and if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think you are wrong.

Off to look for previous thread
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Here we are this thread
This is what the govt says about small producers
4. Producers who do not need to be registered with an EMI
(a) If you have less than 350 hens and all the eggs you produce are sold directly to individual consumers at your
farm gate or by door-to-door sales you will not need to register with an AHVLA EMI. However, under separate
legislation covering disease controls, if you have 50 or more birds (other than wild birds) of any species you will
need to register with the GBPR. For further information use contact and link information under Other relevant
contact information (page 16).
(b) If you sell some of your eggs at local public markets but have less than 50 hens then you will not need to
register with an AHVLA EMI, but you will need to display labelling required under Food Labelling Regulations (name
of the food, your name and address, best before date and advice to consumers to keep eggs chilled) when selling
your eggs in this manner.

But they also say
Note too that if you sell eggs to shops, restaurants or bakeries, you will need to be approved and authorised as a packing centre by EMI in order to be permitted to grade them as Class A eggs.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire