What is Saving September

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

What is Saving September

Post by Richard »

Just that !!!!

One month for us all to be extra frugal, tight, mean, but most of all....save much needed money for the Winter month's, especially (dare I say the word) Christmas !!

Please post as you wish, either in your own Diary form or just ideas and ways you are saving in separate posts.

Most of us are frugal at heart and already do a grand job - can that go further? :-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: What is Saving September

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Not a good month for me to try this unless I can discount the annual car service, MOT, Road Tax and insurance as well as house contents insurance.
Also it is the month that our youngest starts at Uni so I've got to kit her out with all the necessities of independant living.
After that lot I should have about thrupence left to last the month so I'll have to be super frugal :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am off on my jollies tomorrow, but will join in on my return! )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

Dom

It's why I set it up for September.......

I brought my Campervan in August :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Oh crumbs Richard, I am another one with holiday at end of month and an outing to Moreton Show . Will have a go as would like a bit of extra dosh for the holiday.
Barkingharper
Lively Laner

Post by Barkingharper »

Count me in! But then, I have to be like this every month! :-D
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Mmm - we have the boiler service due this month, plus a much needed visit from the chimney sweep. Car is being serviced next Monday, and we will be off on our travels once again. One rally is paid for, and we have put our petrol money aside each month for the journey. Just got our second rally cash to find.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have, however been saving for Christmas at our local supermarket, so much a week in stamps, and am pleased with the little nest egg. However, this year, I am cutting grandchildren out of the present list. Two cannot be bothered to be civil, though they do scribble, and I mean scribble a couple of lines to say thank you for their gift. The other five are older, do not even send a card, and I shall just buy a gift for their parents.
Barkingharper
Lively Laner

Post by Barkingharper »

That's sad Speckly.
I'm going to be giving home made stuff this year. I just need to learn how to make something!!!
Chrissie x
Richard

Post by Richard »

hi

Obviously there are things we can't afford such as pre-booked holidays, car service / breakdowns.

A lot of those are usually things which are cost effective anyway - a well maintained boiler is going to save on fuel bills etc.

This is about anything outside of those really, general every day spending (or not spending!!).

Richard )t'
Barkingharper
Lively Laner

Post by Barkingharper »

Just paid EDF 116 euros. My eldest son moved out yesterday.... with all his computer/playstation stuff.
Youngest son is at school during the week and comes home on Friday nights. Yes' I miss them but I'm a long way from 'empty nest syndrome, and have sort of been looking forward to the peace and quiet. It's very, very quiet though!! Anyway, I'll be interested to see what the next leccy bill will be like.
For now though, it's just me, the dog, the donkeys, the cats, the chickens, the goldfish......
So frugally speaking, I should be able to live off my girl's extremely small eggs, my courgette packed freezer and whatever I can find in the veggie patch. I've also got a lot of chickpeas and rice in my store cupboard. So.... no shopping until Friday when I have to get some cereal and ham in for youngest son.
On the downside (frugally speaking) I had to order my son's shoes from the internet which cost a great deal. He's got HUGE feet. Size 48.5 European size, and I can't find any big enough in the shops. He's only 16 so I hope he doesn't grow anymore! He's 1m 95 !!
Have a lovely evening.
Chrissie.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Barkingharper wrote:For now though, it's just me, the dog, the donkeys, the cats, the chickens, the goldfish......

A long way from 'empty nest' then.
Yes eating can be very frugal for 1. A large veg stew will do several days microwaved. Or cook various veg separately, mix and match from fridge, add something different before microwaving.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

Oh count me in on this!
lizro
Learner Laner

Post by lizro »

I was doing really well. I have made changes to how I do things. The big ones are - I have 'lent' my car to my son as I no longer need it to get to work, and often my OH's car is sat on the drive and it's a Prius so very economical. So said son is paying the running costs now. I now shop in Aldi and find it really cheap and much quicker as less silly choices. I do one shop a week there and combine that with any town shopping we need. We have quite good village shops that I can walk or cycle to if we need something that can't wait. I occasionaly go back to Waitrose for a few things I can't get in Aldi and am always shocked at the till. It was my birthday at the week end and the kids wanted to eat out but as they are either saving for their deposit or just moved into their new house, guess who would end up footing the bill! So we invited them to ours for brunch - bucks fizz and kedgeree - went down a treat!
My downfall is that I have 2 funerals to go to this week - having not had to attend a funeral for several years my best friend and my husband's aunt died on the same day. And of course nothing much to wear! So I have blown the budget buying a couple of tops or 4 and a scarf or 2! I intended taking back the ones that didn't match the rest of what I will wear - all of which is very old but good condition - but love all the things so much I'm going to keep them.
Perhaps I will do better in October.
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

I've lost the plot a bit already. Had a flare-up of ME and am so tired that I can't be assed to defrost stuff or cook stuff, so just bought a load of cereal and roast-in-the-bag chickens. Got Asda to deliver - its only £1.50 and would cost far more than that for us to go and fetch it - even supposing I had the strength to get round the shop lol which I haven't.
So I sort of lost interest and don't care this week, but when am back firing on all cylinders I wil regret it and no doubt come in here moaning at you lot {cry}