LL's September scrimping (Saving September)

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

LL's September scrimping (Saving September)

Post by lancashire lass »

As I get paid monthly on the 22nd, my budget tends to be on a different time zone LOL but I think I have a plan.

I don't have any spending spree or holiday to pay off but the dreaded car insurance, road tax, car service and MOT plus breakdown cover is looming at the end of the month. So that is my August salary and September salary to put towards that.

I'm on my annual leave at the moment so already I'm saving on petrol usage! Of course, the price of petrol has really dropped down to about 1.07 GBP (my cheap Chinese tablet I got at Christmas does not have pound sign) per litre but all good news as it should bring the price of other shopping down too (or do prices only go up when fuel prices go up and never down?)

Payments on my bank loan arranged last year have been more manageable than those in the past - up until April, I seem to have money still in the current account before pay day and not used my credit card, but the gardening projects kicked in and on top of that, the water rates and council tax, and to add to insult, the car needed a new exhaust (full one as the holes were on the pipe near the front box) I really can't complain as it was the original exhaust since I bought the car in 2002.

I paid with my debit card which emptied the current account so out came the credit card for other things BUT paid off before the deadline so no interest paid. It has meant however, dipping into my "Car" savings pot (I set up a monthly standing order in anticipation of the expenses) as I suddenly realised the payment deadline for the credit card was a couple of days before pay day - which means I don't have nearly enough put aside to cover the car insurance etc.

So, a very tight couple of months ahead. It's been difficult not to spend except on essentials as I'll start a task and think, ooooh I could build that gate while I'm on leave but will need wood ... never mind. Or umpteen similar other scenarios LOL While the weather has not been garden friendly I've been doing some major clearing out in the house. Sadly, just junk (really!) but it did strike me that I did have some things I could sell that I know I'd never use. My father was a skilled mechanic and when he passed away suddenly (I was in my early 20's), my mother tried to throw all his tools away (it was normal to build up a couple of tool boxes as employers did not supply tools) but I stopped her. Of course I'd never ever use them to fix things (huge spanners, socket sets and things I've no idea what they do) but at the time I couldn't let them go. I really must try to sell on e-bay but I don't know how to go about it (the instructions seem intimidating and I don't understand) I must give it another try as I'm sure if I do it once I'll get the hang of it. And I have other things to sell as well.

I could try to find a cheaper car insurance quote - the current one is from Saga which was very good last year compared to others but always worth checking. I'll stick with my local garage for the service and MOT as they really were cheaper than other garages and they phone around to get the cheaper deal on parts before quoting.

So that's my scrimping started LOL and on a plus side, I got a little extra in my August salary due to an automatic increment from the regrade last year (AND I think we get a 1% pay rise in the September salary too fingers crossed)
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: LL's September scrimping

Post by Spreckly »

OH's cheap Chinese tablet packed up within the year, and the vendor via A..az....n did not reply to his mails, our computer shop said it was not worth mending.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi LL. I tried selling on e bay once, it was very time consuming to take the photographs, upload them, write a description, and open a pay pal account. I sold one item out of 12 listed, which pretty much wiped out any profit. I wouldn't do it again. Have you got a local paper where you can advertise the tools free? Someone might want to come and look at them first before buying.

Ilona
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Some tools can be worth a fair bit.
Quality was better in ye olde dayes :)
One of the main things with ebay is working out the fees.
It can be quite profitable once you've worked out how.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

You could always try a car boot.
Have you tried price comparison sites for car insurance? It really does bring the cost down. Moneysavingexpert will list the best ones to use, and if you're doing a lot of purchasing online do you use cashback sites? I got loads back as cashback on car insurance one year, it brought my premium right down. I'm going to do it again this year as I think I'm now paying too much for mine. )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

You look busy lassie )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Spreckly wrote:OH's cheap Chinese tablet packed up within the year, and the vendor via A..az....n did not reply to his mails, our computer shop said it was not worth mending.

TBH I was not expecting this tablet to replace my laptop, but at work they are ratching up the "green" policies of not printing on paper and tablets are the inthing at the moment. I'm a bit of a technical dinosaur compared to colleagues walking around with touch screen smartphones and the like and I decided to get a really cheap one. Not my cup of tea at all - prefer a proper keyboard

Meanqueen wrote:Hi LL. I tried selling on e bay once, it was very time consuming to take the photographs, upload them, write a description, and open a pay pal account. I sold one item out of 12 listed, which pretty much wiped out any profit. I wouldn't do it again. Have you got a local paper where you can advertise the tools free? Someone might want to come and look at them first before buying.

Ilona

I don't like the idea of anyone coming to my house or knowing my address (more of a security thing) not to mention arranging a time and date. I could always ask a friend who has sold stuff ("antique" gardening tools we found in the shed when we shared an allotment together - big heavy duty things that looked like something from the Victorian age)

I already have a paypal account as I buy some seeds and diatomaceous earth etc off e-bay - I think I would like to at least give it a try and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out then I'll give the local paper a rethink

KarenE wrote:You could always try a car boot.

noooooooo! LOL - my friend and I opened a market stall (not a proper one - in the the town where she lived, on the days the market is closed, the stalls are let out to the public for a small fee much like car boot sales) It was awful - I nearly gave stuff away, I found the bargaining and bullying too much, not to mention the handling of cash (I'm not good at mental arithmetic - it's to do with needing to "see" something written down) An experience I did not enjoy although I felt like I had got my revenge on one customer who thought she was being clever and got something practically for nothing - when I got home, I realized I'd forgotten to pack a vital component which meant she'd have to buy it at 3x what she paid for the item or it wouldn't work (probably worth it considering the value of the item)

KarenE wrote:Have you tried price comparison sites for car insurance? It really does bring the cost down. Moneysavingexpert will list the best ones to use

I have done in the past but then end up with lots of pestering e-mails and junk mail from those I have shown an interest in. I've already got a fresh crop appearing in my inbox as obviously I'm on some sort of automatic mailing list (which to me is spamming) Not related to car insurance, but I have added my ebay purchases and gas/electricity to my Nectar card (I rarely go to Sainsbury's except for the odd purchase at the local supermarket down the street where I live - not much bigger than a large corner shop. I don't do my weekly shop there so the points were small until I added the others)

KarenE wrote: and if you're doing a lot of purchasing online do you use cashback sites? I got loads back as cashback on car insurance one year, it brought my premium right down. I'm going to do it again this year as I think I'm now paying too much for mine. )t'

my online purchases are few and not linked to cash back schemes. I'm reluctant to join anyway because, again with the incessant e-mails and junk mail palava ... it all gets too much and not worth it IMO (including the Nectar card sometimes)

On a positive note, I sold some eggs today - on my way back, I called in at the garage and booked the car in next Wednesday for service and MOT.

During the major clearout, I found the occasional coin and put it on the mantel piece ... which eventually totalled 3.14 GBP There were 2 pound coins which I suspect were egg sales that didn't go into my purse. I wonder if I'll find any when I clean the car out before the service LOL?

Another bonus to the big tidy up (actually the reason for starting it) I found my new media card for the camera so I can get on with photographing my chilli project. And I found 3 SD cards too ... I've still not found my little camera that I usually keep at work (if I need to contact an engineer about a problem, a photo usually clarifies what I've described) I have no idea where it is now as it wasn't where I thought it was.

Richard wrote:You look busy lassie )t'

Today has been a well earned rest day. I like to get my teeth into a project early in the day but I had to go out this morning so didn't feel like carrying on.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

There's no need for me to do my shopping on a Saturday while on leave, but I suppose it is just habit. With being off work I've had more time to prepare proper meals and found that I was eating less of the "toss in the oven" food. So my food shop really was just the basics - I think I spent more on the chickens (sunflower seeds and some mealworms), totalling 25 GBP.

A quote came through from Saga which is very reasonable - I need to go online to double check this includes the extras (no claims protection and a couple others) that I had last time. Meanwhile I have been checking some others - the "basic" quotes are cheap until you see how much excess you pay!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

But you only pay the excess if you claim. So how many years do /don't you claim.

My first boss used to say 'I only insure against disasters'. So taking his tip I've saved money all these years by never insuring house contents. If the house burned down I probably wouldn't replace a lot of the accumulated junk anyway.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Mo wrote:But you only pay the excess if you claim. So how many years do /don't you claim.

that's true. However, the one year that I was covered by a "free" insurance (came with the new car), the car was broken into and the excess amount I ended up paying was crippling. Cheapest insurance aren't necessarily value for money. I do opt for paying some excess but what I can afford to get back on the road but at a price I'm comfortable with. When you live on your own, peace of mind goes a long way

Mo wrote:If the house burned down I probably wouldn't replace a lot of the accumulated junk anyway.

{rofwl} I like it
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

well, the car went for a service and MOT but it failed and needed 2 new tyres plus the indicator couldn't be fixed (it had worn out and sometimes had to be gently handled to work) and needed replacing plus some small things. The garage suggested not having the service as it was low mileage from the last one so that brought the price down. Still an eye watering 230 GBP + VAT.

I've had a few quotes and Saga is still the best as some things I like are standard and not added to the cost.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

I had a message on the phone to call my bank branch - I checked my account online and it was fine, so I presumed it would be them trying to sell one of their products. Instead, it was about the loan I had taken out last November - the interest on bank loans had dropped and I was asked if I'd be interested in changing to the lower rate with no change in the current terms and conditions. I worked out that it was 1.5% less - so I'm going in on Monday. I just need to find out how much it might cost to come out of one loan but so far it could shave off a few 100 GBP off the original loan. I'm debating if it would be worth keeping the same monthly payments which so far has been manageable and pay the loan off quicker, or go for smaller payments and have a little extra money I can put aside (savings! LOL) - I do know that my 15 year fridge freezer is on its way out, and I need a new oven, and a new car and ... >fi<
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

decisions, decisions.

It's about after you've done whatever you do, saying 'that was the right thing to do' !!

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

I went into Nottingham on the new tram this morning - it was cheaper than by car or bus, and quite an interesting experience. I got to the bank to discuss the loan - the new interest rate did shave off a couple 1000 GBP so was worth it. I opted to keep the same terms and conditions so the amount I pay each month will be about the same. Still, it will be good to pay the loan off earlier.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

I still haven't filled my car up with petrol so saved on a month's worth (can be about £35-45 depending on price) and have just under half a tank so most likely will need to fill up before the end of the week. Today is pay day )c( but I will still need to be uber frugal as the car insurance, road tax and breakdown cover will come out of that. I do have a plan - I deferred payments on the new bank loan for 3 months so what would have been a payment will go towards the insurance etc instead.

The other 2 payments will be creamed off for savings - in December my endowment policy matures but I know there is a shortfall on the mortgage but don't know by how much. When I was buying this house and taking out a second (repayment) mortgage, I sensibly put aside what I thought was possibly the amount that would still be owing on the endowment mortgage but as time has gone on, I'm not so sure so a little extra in the savings pot can't do any harm (and will be an added bonus if my estimates are over the actual - as the mortgage deal I arranged ends in February, I might be able to pay off a little extra on the repayment mortgage and benefit from not only having one paid off completely but the other mortgage should be much less too ... fingers crossed >fi< )