Would you still be frugal if you won the lottery etc?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.

I would still be as frugal as I am now
36%
I would gradually get used to not being so careful
47%
I would spend, spend, spend
17%

Total votes: 47

kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Just a thought, do you get pleasure out of being frugal to the extent that if you won a decent sum of money you would find it hard to suddenly stop watching the pennies?

Woudl you still switch all the lights off? Would you turn your central heating on? Would you buy new instead of s/h etc clothes? Would you still buy 'smart price' and end of the day food from the supermarket?

Do you think you would feel guilty if you suddenly started spending money where you had once scrimped and scraped?

I am curious because its almost as if we are trying to outdo each other on how frugal we are And when we put the fire on or buy a new blouse we feel that we really shouldn't be doing that :?
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I'm frugal in part because I want to add as little as possible to landfill. The by-product is that it saves me money.
I'm frugal in part, but I also beleive you get what you pay for as far as anything else.
If I can save money by buying something expensive that will last a long time and pay for itself eventually, I'll do that rather than buy two or three versions of the same thing that won't last as long.
I love getting things for nothing, and making the odd bit of money from something I found in a skip, but it evens out across the board of what I do spend money on.
The same kind of thing as selling your eggs to pay for chicken feed if you see what I mean.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Tricky one - I'm finding it hard to choose. I think if I didn't have to work, I could spend so much more time doing the things I enjoy - baking, preserving, knitting, gardening and I could spend longer shopping around and comparing prices. Pretty frugal things to do.

I wouldn't buy a faster or fancier car, but maybe a new one :) I wouldn't turn the heating up or the lights on, carbon footprint you know )grin2(

I would buy organic/free range all the time and I would get a cleaner -no, an army of cleaners )t' A little less frugal there, perhaps!

If I do win the lottery, i promise to let you know how it turns out )w(
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

I would definatley spend spend spend, but I do that anyway, but the lottery win would make it much easier. I have been at the stage where I could not aford to buy a pint of milk so now that I have got some money(I am not ritch or well off but have enough money to get by on and to have the animals I want) I will not do without as I did for many years before. :?
Dean H
Lively Laner

Post by Dean H »

I would spend spend spend!
But I would insist that my chauffeur and butler be tighter than a ducks butt...
Dean.
)j; )j; )j;
I may have to grow older, but it doesn't mean I have to grow up!
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

I would spend spend spend, on everything I need to have a frugal self reliant life!. Would keep a nestegg, and if anything was left, my family could have it to pay off their mortgages,etc. Bit practicle, me.
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

Oooh - more land, less working for an employer, no mortgage, lots of animals...

I'd still end up having to be frugal eventually!
There's no cure for stupidity.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

i think i would spend first to get my our own place in the country with lots of land and animals them i would be the same as i am now :) :)

i would also buy my mum a place and give her money to retire )t'

jo cx
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I have reached an age when I find myself thinking 'if I don't spend it, it will go to those extravigant kids, or in inheritance tax'. But old habits die hard, I still make one drink last all night.
And I do think consumptionism is a 'bad thing'
So a contradiction.
thehenhouse
Lively Laner

Post by thehenhouse »

Good one kate!

I would live as i am.. would pay the mortgage off.

Give money to children and parents for whatever they desire.

I love my life as it is, its pretty simple and we do well as we are.

Our extravagance is going on holidays or traveling. Apart from the eco issues of flying... I would travel more, I do like going new places visiting new cultures , meeting new ppl...

but maybee my one indulgence would be a good camper van to roam around the world in..

In yrs to come when we dont need to work anymore.. thats our dream....

Watch this space,.... Maggi xxx
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

My only indulgence would be to give up work, really. Oh, and get a better house with more land & a decent workshop with more tools in it than B & Q.

From then onwards I'd lead a frugal, artisan life. It would no longer matter that the things I make tend towards being rubbish! I'd also grow a massive beard & wash as infrequently as possible. Ah, the dream..
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Sounds good until I got to the bit about growing a beard and not washing - I am guessing that you wouldn't be sharing the big huse and land with anyone?? :-D
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

I suppose the wife & kids could have a room in it somewhere.. :oops: :oops:
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Isnt that called a kitchen?!!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I think that we are all agreed that we would give up work )t' )t'

Why do people say they won't when they win the lottery? What is the point? Life is too short as it is.

We would all look for that ideal house/cottage with a bit of land, in a nice place. We could then grow our veggies and raise our chooks and not have to slave in an office etc to support it all.

We'd mostly like a new, reliable car, but I don't think many of us would buy a Ferrari :-D More likely an economical car around town, or a van to go to chicken rescues in )t'

But I think most of us would still try not to be wasteful of resources, and would not suddenly start buying luxury items that we didn't really need.

At the end of the day (sorry horrible expression) me and hubby aren't struggling financially (although we have had some very tough times over the years) so I don't necessarily do things just to save money, it is because I cannot bear waste. And I refuse to give too much of our hard earned brass to the electric/gas company. And growing veggies, cooking them and tasting how good they are is much, much more rewarding than so many things. And finding an egg, perfectly (or not) formed lying in the coop is brilliant.

Sorry :oops: waffled on a bit.