Would you still be frugal if you won the lottery etc?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.

Would you still be frugal if you won the lottery etc?

I would still be as frugal as I am now
36%
I would gradually get used to not being so careful
47%
I would spend, spend, spend
17%

Total votes: 47

Badger_Lady
Lively Laner

Post by Badger_Lady »

I would have some large expenditures - that money wouldn't sit idle - such as a nursing home and a yacht.

But my day-to-day spending would still be frugal. After all, when I moved to Wales I doubled my income and halved my outgoings but I still refuse to pay for furtniture or go to a festival without working!

To me, frugal living isn't a sacrifice it's something to be proud of. I'd feel disgusted with myself frittering away money for no good reason.

But I'd acknowledge that I was now able to achieve some dreams - I could kick off some very interesting projects, and see more of the world.

So, in summary, does that count as "still frugal" or "spend"???
ntcrane
Learner Laner

Post by ntcrane »

I would be frugal and only buy one private jet :-D

I would still work - but part time and on my own terms or for charity (I am a psychotherapist) because i enjoy it and it gets me away from the kids! :razz:

I dont know if i would buy a lot of stuff (except my dream apartment in Barcelona) but i suppose what i would buy would be of better quality than now. For example my car is over 10 years old and doing fine yet it might need changing in a few years (might not )t' ) so if there were several million in the bank i dont imagine I would be at my local 2nd hand Arthur Daleys!

I suppose there is a difference in being financially frugal and object frugal - you can not send a lot and still get loads of **** you dont need!

Its probably another contradiction that i would probably spend a lot on green stuff (wind turbine - solar panels - state of the art veg patch and luxury chicken hotel ... hold on they get that already )j; )
Niel
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I would buy a house in Bali with the sea on one side and paddy fields on the other :-D I would invest the rest of the money to pay for all my friends and family to visit whenever they wanted and would sit by the sea watching the sunsets while reading and painting for the rest of my days :-D :-D

Who am i kidding?... I would pay the mortgage off, carry on working part time, send the kids off to university and set them up in a nice house when they've finished. Also help out my loved ones... And OH would want a yacht. Bit boring I know but....

Lucy x
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

I would probably just work on the flexi bank because I'd miss nursing too much to just give it up. I seriously enjoy my nursing shifts and the people I work with and it gives me a different perspective on life - I feel good about myself at work, but I'm just tired of the housework at home because there's so much untidiness here and we could do with a larger house really.

I would buy a nice place in the country and a decent car then just spend the rest on the kids' education......and a decent vet for the animals, of course! )t'

The one thing that I would definitely get would be somebody to come in every day and CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, for a lovely, tidy, clean, orderly, nice house! Instead, I'm constantly battling with the bits of Lego and paperwork and never ending fluff (where does it come from anyway???). Very strange.
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

i would spend spend spend, have a holiday home for myself family and friends to use, shop at waitrose i would get lots of quality bits i look at but can't afford all those lovely pots of stuff with goats cheese and peppers and cous cous, lovely organic fruit and veg, no dirty nails. Work voluntary for cat protection league.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Gwiz
Learner Laner

Post by Gwiz »

I'd definately give up working. I'ts not that I don't like what I do, It's just that I dislike HAVING to do it. I very often repair machinery for people outside of work for nothing, as I like doing it.
I'd move to wales or the west country, somewhere there is a veiw in all directions. Living in the "burbs", you don't often see anything else , apart from your neighbours..... :)
Graham.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I dont know about being 'frugal' because I'd have no problems in spending it!!! but I wouldn't waste it....
I'd be frightened - Glad to have a 'close' family and glad to know now who my freinds are..
I think we'd spend a month just trying to decide what to do, and how to do it..
I complain about having to work but would probably be bored stupid if I didn't..
How would it be if you didn't have anything to aim for because you could have everything??
I think I would like to win enough to enable us, my family and friends not to have to worry about mortgages, bills and day to day living, and would love to open a 'proper' home for the elderly, where the folk aren't just dumped into chairs and left to vegitate.
I'd also love to open a 'work house' some sort of business where homeless people can stay but work for their living to give them a fresh start and a base to start from.
A biggy for me would also be to finance rehabilitation centres for our soldiers.. with group therapy ect.. something desperately needed and sadly lacking..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How many lottery wins would that need?
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

only one as long as it was HUGE!!! :-D :-D )c(
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
vyxxn
Lively Laner

Post by vyxxn »

Nice one Willow - 2 points

1 - can I be your friend now - You know just in case :-D

2 - I ve started a new thread in the frugal bit cos your work house just reminded me of a great one thats already out there
www.vyxxn.co.uk
FREE RANGE MOTORCYCLING AT ITS BEST
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Interesting one this, seems like most people would like to either give up work, or scale down their hours.

We had a similar converstion the other day at work, and most people wanted to have a large win and give up work! But how much they would need varied.

I would want to go part time, then do more for dog rescue (cos I miss it having had to go full time a few years back).

I would probably change my car when it needed it, to a more ecconomical one. And buy my dream cottage in the country. And get another dog to do serious training and agility with.

Would also want to grow more veggies and cook more from scratch, so saving money! And have more chickens too.

The conclusion we came to was that it would give us the freedom to choose to do what we wanted to, rather than what we had to.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

With all those things you want to do I don't think you could fit in any part time work!

I would definitely not work, I would walk the dog more, travel more not necessarily abroad there are lots of places in the UK and Ireland to see.

I think we'd still dabble with eBay, its fun especially when you aren't relying on it.

I'd still save bits of wrapping paper when wrapping Christmas pressies and join them together so as not to waste it.

I'd look after the chooks, spend more time in the garden, visit my sister and my mum. Maybe help at the RSPCA in the village.

Loads of things to do that would be nice to do, instead of having to be somewhere at the exact time someone else wants me to. :-D
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Kate Egg - by working part time, I mean no more than 2 1/2 hours a week!! Just enough to get me out of bed in the mornings!

I could do 9 - 9.30, 5 days a week, if I was really pushed I guess lol
Wouldn`t want to push myself.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Think I would just stay in bed till 9.30 :-D :-D
Andy_in_Spain
Learner Laner

Post by Andy_in_Spain »

I would still continue this way but without the stress of if we have sufficient funds to survive. Apart from this there is very little I want, mabye fix the car, buy a new wood burner, put new paddocks in the garden, buy the land next door......................................................... >bla<
I am a learner at 49 years old. I see the need for change. I want to be part of the solution not the problem. Green is the new Black, Barter the new currency. To these ends, I am designing a new website for English speakers living green in Andalucia Spain www.elmolinoverde.com