Richard's Frugal Month

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Richard's Frugal Month

Post by Richard »

Hi

I've no set plans as such but frugal must be the key word this month.

Not a good start, it never is when you go to visit family !!!!

Good news is I have 14 nights of house sitting so there's a bit extra coming in and the kind people leave me a lot of food, so savings there.

The thing is that socially I don't really do anything, I don't have close local friends so saving on entertainment or going out somewhere doesn't come into the equation.

My little bit of overspending is normally around not being able to walk past a shop without buying a Kit Kat or a more special desert - so there's something for me to look into.

I'm sure things will come up for which I can stop myself and say do I really need this, can I buy somewhere else cheaper with the same lifetime etc.

Will keep you and myself posted.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Richard's Frugal Month

Post by Mo »

Richard wrote:
14 nights of house sitting .... the kind people leave me a lot of food,

Like leaving food out for the cat??

I remember the 'babysitter's suppers' that I left and ate when I was in a babysitting circle.

Is food included in the contract for house-sitting?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Mo

No it isn't, but as with all my 'jobs' I am always very blessed with the people I work for.

Something has come up to assist me in my savings though - it's called Laryngitis !!
I've lost my voice and haven't got out for two days other than a stroll on the field.

:-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Noble of you to take one for the team, Richard!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I did well today, by chance though.

I forget to take milk to make a Coffee in my Van today, a day out in the Sevenoaks area.

Stopped at a Waitrose Service Station and they had a pint with today's sell by date for 8p.

I like savings when you least expect them !!

Richard
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

8p eh. Better than me and I thought I did well.
I usually have milk delivered ".07 for 2l organic. But I forgot to order extra so trotted up to Co-op. £1.27 for 2 pints, £1.87 for 4 but those were on 2 for £3. Decanted one of those into 2pints for the freezer. 8 pints for £3 ... >coc< ...I make that 37.5p/pint. (we won't mention petrol for 3 mile round trip.)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

Feeling a tad useless, nothing to save money on so far this month, just not spending any with nothing coming up.

I changed my Energy Supplier last Summer, changed my Broadband Provider in December, both of which saved me about £30 collectively.

Probably given it the kiss of death writing the above, something is sure to go wrong now !!

Richard )t' )t'
Richard

Post by Richard »

My old Wellington Boots had leaks, so yesterday I popped down town and got the cheapest I could find - Shoe Zone £8,99.
I think the old ones were purchased at a relative price about 7 years ago, so for those I'm not into pay more than I need.
Don't really wear them a lot either.

Later this evening I'm looking at my Mobile. At present I'm with Sky for TV, changed to BT from talktalk on the broadband in December and on O2 for Mobile.
I'm looking at a BT Mobile offer they've sent me, could be worth changing that, would save me over £10 pm., but I'm unsure how old my O2 Contract is and if it's OK to change yet.

Otherwise, not done much so still spending the minimum really.

Richard