rain water toilet cistern

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
red-rialto
Learner Laner

rain water toilet cistern

Post by red-rialto »

I have been on a water meter for a while now and decided to try and cut back on usage.
I have been collecting rainwater to use in the toilet cistern for a good few months now and am amazed at how much water gets flushed and money was just being flushed down the drain.
I fill the cistern each evening or when needed for number twos. It has worked well and no one has moaned about it.
Will see what the water bill comes in at next time an post the result.
I hope to have an "auto fill" system for the new year, and will run the pump from a battery chrged via solar panel
PINCH THAT PENNY UNTIL IT SCREAMS...........
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

welcome to the forum )t'

my dad has been on a water meter for 4 years now.

he uses paper plates for eating except for when he has gravey LOL so he doesnt have to wash up he uses his wash water in the morning to flush his loo and only has a bath once a week he washes any pans or plates once a week any water that he can use to flush the loo he does.

good luck saving )t' )t'

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
red-rialto
Learner Laner

rainwater

Post by red-rialto »

Hi and thanks for your warm welcome. We also use the washing up water for the loo. I have done away with the bath and have a low water use shower head in the shower now,you can really notice the difference the shower head has made to the amount of water used. I am getting the low use fittings for all the taps too.
I am thinking of ways of saving water ,gas and electrcity all the time.
I fitted a log burner in the living room last year and got through winter without the central heating on at all,hope to do the same this year,plus all the wood is free that I find laying around or fallen trees in the local woods
PINCH THAT PENNY UNTIL IT SCREAMS...........