Dried fruits & nuts

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Dried fruits & nuts

Post by lancashire lass »

As part of my "healthy" eating plan (eating lots more fruit and veg, reducing carbohydrates like cake, pies, sweets, breakfast cereals etc - crisps are still a problem :oops: but only on my Saturday tv catch up rest day), I like to take a little pot of unsalted mixed nuts and dried fruits to work to snack on to stay away from the temptations of the chocolates. However, the price in supermarkets can be pricey for what you get. Tescos Trail mix and Wholefoods Peanut And Flame Raisins seem to be the cheapest so far but just wondered if anyone had seen anything cheaper/bulk that are just as nice? I don't mind mixing my own blend though I have to say the Trail mix is going down very well (never thought I'd like the banana chips LOL)
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Dried fruits & nuts

Post by Meanqueen »

I get Aldi brazils 150grm for £1.29, and walnut halves 130 grm also £1.29. I don't snack on trail mix or nuts because some of it is too hard to chew, I would rather save my teeth. I get a bag of sultanas for 84p. All my fruit, nuts and seeds get pulverized in a mini chopper and put on my breakfast bran flakes. You could try an Asian shop if you have one.
Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I buy the Aldi nuts also, the brazils are really nice, don't buy the salted cashews or peanuts though. I shouldn't, but sometimes I break a small piece of chocolate up and mix it in with the nuts.
manda

Post by manda »

I was looking for Mexican recipes the other day and thought of this post when I was saving it. Plain unsalted peanuts and then mixed with these but any mix is good.

Chipotle-Lime Mixed Nuts Recipe
Print
Yield: 4 cups
Ingredients
4 cups mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, etc.)
3 teaspoons salt
Grated zest of 2 limes
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 teaspoons chipotle powder (can sub chili powder, cayenne, Chinese five spice, Garam Masala, etc.)
2 egg whites
2 Tbsp lime juice
Method
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 "Muddle" the grated lime zest with the salt in a large bowl by mashing it around with the back of a wooden spoon. The salt and zest should intermingle into a paste. Add the brown sugar and chipotle powder and mix well.
3 Whisk in the egg whites. Add the nuts and mix to combine, until all of the nuts are well coated.
4 Place the nuts in a layer on a cookie sheet that has been lined with either parchment paper or Silpat. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove from oven, sprinkle lime juice over all the nuts and return to the oven for 2 minutes. Allow to cool before eating.

This is the link for it:
Read more: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/ch ... z4MCugCCxG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)like( sounds nice thank you