We love our woodburning stove!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Oh, I really want one, but don't Need one.
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

i ove mine, but it is soooo old and really needs replacing and if we replace that then the chimbly will need lining and will cost a small fortune, there is a hole in the back we have blocked with a fire brick and fire cement, but it still heats the room up.
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi

I would like one but not sure how much they are and how much it would be to get sorted for one,

How much is the smokless fuel a bag and where do you get it from.

My combined gas and electric has gone up from £180 a month, got the letter yesterday to £259 a month with npowe* it can't be right can it i must have a blinking gas leak. We certainly cannot afford that. So although it might be a big out lay it might be worth it in the long run.

Crikey it certainly made my weekend, have been in a bit of a mood since it dropped on the doormat.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Hi Mellonia - they put our DD up from £199 to £350 a month yike* we are with Sc*tt*sh Power I ahve checked all the others out and it is no cheaper with any of the others. Needless to say we have been VERY careful since this happened with switching off lights and not putting heating on till really necessary. They are going to review it at 3 months which is about now, so I am hoping it will come down a lot else a mean Crimbo for us +cry+
jethro tull
Learner Laner

Post by jethro tull »

I spent 18 years meter reading for norweb and although you probably know this just check your readings are correct and not based on estimates.

Nearly all the problems started when we stopped reading meters every quarter and just estmated them. The problems were just as bad when under estimated because when the meter was finally read people could get a whopping bill they were'nt expecting.

I've seen people in a real mess and all to save these power co's a bit of money in wages.

Paul
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I send my meter readings in every quarter so cannot blame them for over-estimating. The problems started when I changed supplier and they started the DD too low - I knew it was too low but I think they do this to kid you that you are getting such a good deal :?

Needless to say after a long winter we were quite a way behind, but in a way its done us good cos hubby kept putting the heating on last year when I wouldn't have. Now that we have these huge payments to go each month he is being a lot more careful )t'
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

mellonia - we got ours from an open fire showroom and it cost us about £2000 that included the stove and the fitting and finishing off.

We pay about £5-6 for a bag of smokeless and wood/logs is free if you hunt around and are prepared to collect it up - we go out into the countryside and fill up Ikea bags with twigs and wood that's lying around on the ground. Sometimes we find logs as well.
montenegro
Learner Laner

wood burners

Post by montenegro »

here in spain i think woodburners are more common and much less complicated to fit... you just put it in your fireplace/corner of the room, put the tubos (pipes) up the chimney and that's it! we have 2, one downstairs and 1 up, downstairs cost us 350 euros inc pipes and upstairs 200 euros. luckily we also have 2 acres of almond and olive trees so free firewood. we decided on those fires because we then recoup our bottled gas costs in a year.

so glad i moved with bills like that

:-D
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi

Thanks for the info echelon, i might have to invest in one if i don't get my bills sorted i really can't pay 259 a month, bless you kate egg hope you get yours sorted, its criminal isn't it, i think we are stumping up payments for those that don't pay.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I am really hoping that it will be a lot lower when they review it, we have been really carefull (compared to how we normally are).

I'd love a wood burner but we had a brand new fireplace and gas fire this time last year so it won't be for a while yet :)
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Good grief! £259 a month!!!!!!!! That's a lot. Perhaps you could get a second hand stove from somewhere - they must sell them. The fitting wasn't complicated either. Our coalman said that they're becoming more popular now with the gas prices being so high. I hope you manage to sort something out.