Home made handwash.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Home made handwash.

Post by echelon »

Does your handwash cost a small fortune and does it dry your hands out something rotten???

Easy remedy!

Buy some pure soapflakes - a box costs about £1.60 in the supermarket. Sprinkle some of these into a measuing jug - about 2 tablespoonfulls - add about 1 pint of boiling water and allow to dissolve - give it a stir up.

Add a good slug of glycerine - find it in the baking section in the supermarket.

Add a few drops of your favourite essential oil.

Pour the hot mixture into a handwash dispenser - keep one of your old ones.

When it's cooled down a bit, give it a good shake.

Keep giving it a really good shake every now and again to loosen the mixture so that it's easy to pump.

You now have your own handwash mixture for next to nothing and it won't dry your hands out - no nasty chemicals or strong smells either. You can even add some tea tree oil to make it antibacterial if you like!!!!!! )t'
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

What a great idea!!

I am going to try that one!! )t'

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
manda

Post by manda »

If you need to make it a bit more abrasive if you have really mucky hands...which seems a common occurrence in our house then use a bit of sugar or salt - helps gets the dirt out.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

That's a goooood idea! :-D
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Thanks for the ideas, folks.

Will have to give that one a try. I'll let you know how I get on. )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I have an old shampoo bottle which I put all the little ends of soap bars, and some water.

When I was a child we always made Christmas present for relatives, and one of the things we made was a soap-fish. Cut out 2 fish shapes from a sheet of thin sponge (less thanquarter inch thick, don't know where Mum got it from). Buttonhole stitch them together, leaving the end of the tail open. Put soap inside. so you have a self soaping sponge.
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Oh, yeah, my husband's auntie used to do something similiar with a sponge. The soap went inside then it was sealed up somehow and then you had an instant soapy spongy thingy.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Very good idea, must try that one, when I have used up my current handwash, sometime next summer probably, :-D

Ilona

PS, I used to buy hand made soap in bulk to sell on my craft stall, business has been closed a year but I still have loads left.
bookbinder
Lively Laner

Post by bookbinder »

I bought a pump thingy...you put a very small amount of hand wash in the bottom then fill up with water.. the pump then turns it into handwash foam!...The bottle full lasts ages and it only contains a small amount of the bought handwash to start with so it soon pays for itself.......The children used to get through a bottle in no time so I am pleased with the investment!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I bought a handwash like this, already full, and decided to refill it. Big mistake the first time as I just filled with normal liquid soap. Now I do about half and half and it really does last ages )t' And its fun :-D