Wasting water

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Wasting water

Post by Grannyof4 »

Where I now live there are only 6 properties plus a big equestrian centre. We are all on individual biodigesters, vey modern after being used to a cesspit for over 30yrs!! On Monday night the warning light started flashing which in essence meant the pump wasn't working. The Engineer was not going to be in the area till Thursday so I was going to have to manage by using minimal water. I learnt that you don't need the cold tap running when cleaning teeth, put water in basin to wash hands. You don't have to flush the loo every time (I am the only one in the house),. I have to admit I did stick to minimum cooking, stir fries great, as I am not into standing by the sink washing pots. Used washing up bowl and tipped water on the compost. Quite an eye opener.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Wasting water

Post by Spreckly »

Hope you get sorted soon Granny. I find it amazing how much water we use in the caravan, and what luxury to get home and turn on the tap!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

When we moved into my bungalow I met someone who knew the people who first lived in it (early 1950s). The started out shack in the corner of the plot, with no services.
Apparently the wife spent a lot of time digging in the hope of finding water - 'do you realise how much water it takes to wash a cabbage'
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi near the Thames -More water than I can use . I just spent 1.5hours filling my fish pond as water level gone down 5 inches . Must have a leak in it .
No meter fortunately.
Bob
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I suppose you don't think of being frugal with water unless you get charged for it. We have a private supply from a collection tank sunk into the ground, and live high up in rainy hills, so its one thing we're really not short of. In fact, I have a theory that turning all the taps on might help the drainage outside!

On the bright side - no water=no shower=no water heating and no toiletries (+maybe no friends!), so savings all round!
I hope you're all sorted now.