Soft vs Hard Water???

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Soft vs Hard Water???

Post by KathJ »

Now here's a good one >dum< We had a leaflet through the door yesterday to say we live in a hard water area (we only moved in 7 months ago) and the problems this may cause to appliances such as washing machine/dish washer but mainly the radiators and boiler (we've just had a new boiler fitted). Now I know this company are trying to sell us a water softening system but after looking online this morning at various articles what they're saying appears to be correct. Does anyone have any experience of this or have a water softener fitted? I think my main concern would be the inefficiency of the central heating and the long term problems this could cause to the new boiler! And any idea how much one of these water softener systems would cost?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Soft vs Hard Water???

Post by lancashire lass »

my water is only slightly hard - I get some scale in the kettle to flake size and is a bit noticeable round the sink taps - so perhaps I'm not one to ask. In my case, I don't use any water softening set up. I imagine they might be expensive to install but running costs shouldn't be too bad. For dishwasher and washing machines you could buy something separate which you occasionally treat.