Co-Op to sell past sell by date food....

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Co-Op to sell past sell by date food....

Post by Richard »

I believe it's up to one month / or what's safe..

BBC Article here

and why not !

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Re: Co-Op to sell past sell by date food....

Post by wildlifemad »

I saw this on the news yesterday, good for them I say! Far too much waste in the world. We never waste food, we just cook enough to eat. I hate seeing food wasted.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Our nearest Co-op is noted for not having some basics. It would be nice if the other supermarkets followed suit.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

One of my local supermarkets has been doing this already
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

It's good isn't it.

Bit of an extreme comparison but many climbers on Mount Everest use food from tins which have been up there for years.

Mind you, it's frozen I guess !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I will eat food when it is past it's sell by date, and use by date. I can tell whether it's edible or not by looking at it, sniffing it, does it smell off, has it gone mouldy. Common sense. I buy out of date food from a local Cash and Carry. My friend gave me some bottles and cans of booze, some of it was 13 years out of date. Perfectly fine. I am still here, never sick.

Ilona
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I was talking to one our vets nurses who volunteers with the homeless were discussing the shops that donate any food that has gone to its best before or sell by date.
She said that most would rather any food not sold that day go into the bins and skips out back and anyone goes into them and gets caught they get in trouble. They do go into the shops later on to get reductions so they arn'the just expecting they have food given.
They only shops that donate any food s greggss I was actually surprised it wasn't who I expected at all
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Richard

Post by Richard »

It's good their are charities who collect waste food from Restaurants / Shops in London then take it to Homeless Centres.

It's a pity that some associate Homelessness with Drop Outs, dr-ugs, Booze etc. but that's not always the case, many of these 'Cardboard City' folk are ex-Servicemen who've fallen short upon their return from Conflict and with 'mates'.
They just can't take the change etc.

Slightly off topic, apologies.

Richard