Just returned from "Frugal Central"

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Just returned from "Frugal Central"

Post by Mo »

Dorrens daughter wrote:
1. Its not worth trying to plant any veg crops until we're able to live there full time because by the time you get back the weeds will have over taken everything.

{rofwl}
Dorrens daughter wrote:
5. Five cubes of oak is a heck of a lot of wood especially when its dumped in the lane outside the house and blocking the neighbours drive.

7. Moving 5 cubes cut logs from the lane into the garden by myself is very hard heavy work and the logs take up a lot of space. But judging by the reaction of the villages who passed by I may have gained some brownie points or then again they may just think that I'm a mad old foreign lady.

8. when husband turns up with the use of a car the chopping into bits small enough could commence because we were able to buy a couple of axes and a lump hammer. But chopping wood will take up any spare time we have through out the year.
{rofwl}
I had a similar problem when I saw a tree surgeon clearing our lane ready to resurface and asked for the chippings for the hen run. It took a heck of a lot of moving. Luckily it was half of my drive it was blocking - could get the car to the garage but not the wheelbarrow from front to back garden.
The 'good life' isn't easy is it - you can see why most people use all the labour savers they can find.

My mice like the loft in winter - no use bulk buying food and storing up there. I caught one in a big bag of oats once. And they chew the foam pipe-lagging.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Dorrens daughter wrote:the chopping into bits small enough could commence because we were able to buy a couple of axes and a lump hammer. But chopping wood will take up any spare time we have through out the year.

how about a chain saw? I can't see myself using one (too scared) but just wondered if you might find it useful? I can manage a jig saw which comes in handy but probably takes twice as long than using an axe. You might need to think about what would happen if you and husband are ill or unable to do heavy chopping.

Maybe you might find yourself getting a lot more done as you get into the swing of it or maybe some young man in the village looking for a bit of petrol / pocket money could do a job lot for you?
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Post by Dorrens daughter »

Well we did get someone with a chain saw to cut the logs to a more manageable size for the princely sum of 25lev which was about £12 then I moved the logs into the garden, TB joined me the following week and we stored some of it in the larger summer room but it will have to be chopped and stored in the smaller summer room so we can get at the potential access holes used by the mice to fill them before we tackle the holes when we find them into our basement kitchen.
We're traveling back on Friday and we know that mouse eradication and wood chopping will be high on our list when we arrive. the weather in the village has been a lot better than here "up north" in the UK but its set to get a lot colder when we're there so its a good job that we have installed wood burners upstairs and down, when I went last March I was getting sunburnt in the garden during the day and freezing at night with only a small heater that didn't get much warmer than having a polo mint.
While we're there this time we'll visit the Police station in the city to apply for residency cards which will enable us to stay longer then three months at a time which considering the Bre**t fiasco currently taking place here may come in handy and its much too early to start clearing the garden as our Bulgarian hedgehogs will still be in the land of Nod and it will be much too early to work in the garden so it will be inside jobs like learning how to cook on and in a wood burning stove, decorating and so on.
So I'll report back when we get back mid February and tell you how we got on.