Winterlapping

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Winterlapping

Post by Mo »

I heard a word on Countdown the other day that describes by winter dressing. Interlap. Like overlap and interleave.
So I put my socks on over my leggings and under my trousers. And tuck my vest into pants, tee-shirt into leggings, shirt into trousers with another layer or two on my top half. I live in a draughty house but don't like to run the radiators full belt all day.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Winterlapping

Post by Gwenoakes »

My mother always used to make me do that in winter, even including the famous liberty bodice which I might add I absolutely hated.
Now either she was way before her time or this info has just come to the surface again.
I have to admit I myself do not do it, though have tended to make my children do it when they were younger.
I also remember her telling me about lighter layers of clothing were better than one heavy garment.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I hope all your layers keep you warm Mo! Time I got my vests out, sleeveless ones, the long sleeved ones are for the very coldest weather.

I loved the fluffy linings of liberty bodices!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've started adding more layers and last night was the first time the heating had been on longer than "just long enough to take the nip out of the air" as it felt more like winter than autumn. I like my (indoor) fleecy jackets (a light one under a slightly heavier one) and a hot water bottle slipped in between the 2 when I'm settled for the nights.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think a lot of us were brought up before central heating existed. Fire in the dining room, Jack Frost patterns on the bedroom windows.
Liberty bodice was OK if you didn't have to change for PT at school. Rubber buttons. I think I was one of a few wearing them.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh yes liberty bodice .... sile}
Yes no cntral heating when I was young. So the front of you cooked by the fire and the back froze. No TV to watch,so sit and do our knitting or read.
Since I was married I have always had central heating. So spoilt now.
Yes my heating is on all day now. It wouldn't have been had Spence been here. He would had said put a jumper on )grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Post by Dorrens daughter »

I too wore a liberty bodice, now living in a mainly unheated high rise flat I layer my clothes and sometimes wrap a throw around me at this time of year.
When in Bulgaria I do the same but this will be our first trip back with the house having wood burners having lived with coal fires in the past I expect Ill be well wrapped up as well though.