Got a bargain!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Got a bargain!

Post by Babycakes »

Hello all
I got myself a BRAND NEW sewing machine for £45 - complete with 2-year warranty!!
I got my dad to look it up on the net before I bought it, the cheapest he could find online for that make and model was £79 for a reconditioned one :-D
So I got a really good machine at almost half price, plus warranty - and now I can try to make clothes for Grace, and mend things so they dont get thrown out )c(
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Perhaps with your new sewing machine, any scaps of nice fabric could be used into helping make your nappy cakes, baby bunting or something.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I was hoping to be able to use it for the cakes - if i ever get time (see other thread in members only!!) I have been having problems sourcing fleece blankets of a certain size so will probably end up making some ourselves - mumk and me I mean. My mum has a a gammy knee and is getting it replaced "soon" so I want to take some of the sewing duties off her at least while she recovers for a while. Also, she has had some really exciting ideas of "extras" we could make and sell when we eventually get our website up, so I'd like to be able to help with those too.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Sewing machines are great. I've had mine about 40 years. It has really earnt it's keep. The last things I made a few months ago were full length curtains, cloth for a 6' table complete with 6 napkins, all for under £50. I'm off to the material shop tomorrow with my Daughter, curtains for her house.
Have fun with it and Grace will have clothes that fit.
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

I would like a sewing machine but I am left handed and at school was stopped from using the machines as I used to get in a right pickle with it. My teacher taught me to crochet instead.

Evie
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

good one (f+ (f+ (f+

i need one where was it from )t' )t'

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Evie, I googled to see if there was a left handed sewing machine, but the Left Hand shop says that the man who invented it was left handed and that's why the needle is that side.
You do use your left hand to guide the material through.
I hadn't thought of that before, as I'm equally useless with either hand. (Maybe I would have ended up Southpaw, left to myself)
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Jo,
A new discount shop called swag opened in an old diy place that closed down. It has all sorts of stuff from toys to christmas decorations to sewing machines to furnitue to clothes. Everything was half price or less - even some very expensive prams! I dont think it is a national chain or anything, I have heared it's a one-off that is only open til christmas. It seems to be a lot of seconds and bankrupt stock.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi babycakes (f+ (f+ (f+

wish i lived there :)
mind you i think i would go bankrupt LOL all those bargins

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.