Best day and time for Supermarket Sell Off's

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Best day and time for Supermarket Sell Off's

Post by Richard »

Just wondering what time's of the day, they've found to be the best for sell-off's (as in last day of sell by date).

Also, is there a particular day of the week which seems to be best?

Feel free to use the proper names for Supermarkets.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Morrisons sell off hot cooked chickens from about 7pm onwards I once got one for about 50p, also thats about the right time for reduced price bread and sausage rolls etc.

They close most nights at 8pm so try to shift stuff that goes out of date that day.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I call at a Sainsbury's Local after dance club if I'm short of anything. I think they shut at 11, it's hard to get to some of the shelves at 10.30 as they bring the shelf-filling trolleys in. We sometimes get cheap bread and the sort of bakery goods we wouldn't buy at full price. But last time I went the assistant was filling a large plastic sack with sliced bread which she had to throw out as it wasn't company policy to sell it off (maybe they get a refund from the manufacturers). I thought that was wrong, though I suppose if you can buy it cheap you won't buy the full price stuff.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

my nearest asda (longwell green)is 24hr and only shut on a sunday at 4.00pm so the best time to go is a sunday afternoon they sell of lots of stuff ready for the next day :) :) :)

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I believe that Bread is ordered by that Manufacturers employee. He / She will go into the Store early, see how much he / she feels they need and takes it out the back of the Van.
In that respect, it the Bakers loss, not the Supermarkets.

The law is they have to chuck it away even if it is 'good'. Just a Health and Safety Policy they are duty bound to follow.

It's like at Cricket, where I get the left overs. I put some on a Plate to take home and eat when I get there and the rest, if OK, is for the Chickens.
Legally, I'm not allowed to do this and they should stop me.

But the waste is horrendous. I even freeze some things if it's safe to do so. Chef always gives me the nod !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

Richard, it's not just with food goods. My mum works for Tesco, and some products that come in don't have a code in the system, or have been removed from it after season, so are technically nonexistant. The manager lets these items be sold for next to nowt to the staff, and the money goes to pay for staff parties and the like. My daughter has more pairs of socks than Meanqueen has pants! All for very little. Otherwise the lot would be chucked. Shameful!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Tesco start at 5pm marking stuff down. They go around again at 7pm further reducing the stuff they have already marked down and bringing more stuff out. At 9pm they do the final mark down, when what's left goes down to pence. The longer you leave it the cheaper it gets, but there may not be much left when it gets late. They usually move it to special reduced sections, but if that is full they leave it where it normally is and you have to look for it. The staff don't make the prices up, the computer prints out a label.

If the supermarket is close by it would be a good idea to always shop at those times, but if you have to drive some distance you need to buy a lot so that the reductions you get are more than the cost of fuel to get there. Or you could call in on the way back from somewhere else.

Stuff I have recently bought at 8pm. carrots 500grms 12p, sprouts 25p, spinach 30p, 6 crusty rolls 9p, 4 choc donuts 27p, bag 6 cookies 28p, cabbage 19p.
)t'

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

When I was looking after my Mother-in law I used to walk to Safeway.
On Christmas Eve I went round in late afternoon, but a reasonable time before they shut. The shelves were nearly empty because of the reductions. BOGOF (on perishables on xmas eve!). What's the good of being open if you empty the shelves?
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

My local Tesco is 24-hour so it seems abit hit and miss for the reduction times. I have found that around 4pm is a good bet, but apart from that it's pot luck. Asda is further away, so we'd only go there if we're already passing ont he way to the in-laws. They have a brilliant reduced bread section - my new chest freezer is heaving with loaves, baps, rolls, pancakes, tortillas and even cornish pasties - fresh from the in-store bakery, 4 for 90p!! I hoestly have enough bread to last until around christmas

Hurrah for chest freezers!! )c(
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Years ago the local M & S used to collect all the cakes, sandwiches and perishables that were due to go out of date on a Saturday, and give them to the local boarding school for disabled kids. We used to love Sat tea!!

Some other places do this for homeless charities etc.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Just to add to the post by MeanQueen, T*sco reduction machines work out the prices based on a percentage. The percentage amount is based on the time of day.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That's interesting, Nellie, wondered how it works. Ours is a 24 hours as well, Babycakes, but they still have to have a clear out when it gets late in the day. Once all the big trolleys come out to restock they block the shelves. If any items got missed, they would be in a lot of trouble if they were still out for sale the following day.

Ilona
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Went to Sadsa this afternoon, and bought a beef joint that had been reduced 25% and its use by date 21st November )t'