Frugal Christmas... Framing Memorabilia

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Frugal Christmas... Framing Memorabilia

Post by ma larkin »

It's going to be a very frugal Christmas for me this year as pennies are short like alot of people and I have just gone back to employment after being self employed for the past 15 years. I was an artist and designer and also a picture framer.
Anyway, my OH has just come across whilst sifting through a whole load of junk, a WH Smith paper bag from the seventies which is in good condition and I thought I would frame it for my brother for Christmas this year because he worked for WH Smith when he left school in the 70's. So now it has got me thinking what I can find and frame for other members of my family and friends that might be reminiscent of their past, and I wondered what other people would choose for their friends and family?

I used to make and then frame these birds!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I like the birds.

On my wall I have a large frame containing a smallish photo surrounded with hand-prints of all the children and staff who were at Playgroup when I retired.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Lovely birds, Ma Larkin. )t'

Gosh, going to think about what you could frame. Hmmmmnnnn! (thinking cap gone on). :)
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
wendy

Post by wendy »

Unless you frame yourself that can be expensive.
I frame my cross stitch myself. A lot easier now the hobby shops are around.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

wendy wrote:Unless you frame yourself that can be expensive.
I frame my cross stitch myself. A lot easier now the hobby shops are around.
Wendy

do you mean you actually make the frames yourself?
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Ma... those 'pictures' are realy lovely!! :-D )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
wendy

Post by wendy »

Used to. Now you can get all the gear. Frames of differeing sizes and a sticky backing, so I don't even have to stretch and stitch the fabric. I get mine from Hobbycraft.
To have it done proffessionally it is an arm and a leg !
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

My step-son bought 2 cheap frames in a charity shop last year and framed a couple of pictures of Liverpool football club that he printed out from the internet. I think the frames cost him 50p each and they now have pride of place in our dining room. Owen was so deligted that his son not only gave him a really nice present, but that he'd taken the time and put the thought into making it himself.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

You can nearly always find pictures for sale in charity shops for a little amount, you could take the picture out and reuse the frame )t' More recycling )t' )t'
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

Picture framing is so expensive. I have a small workshop/studio at the bottom of my garden with all the equipment, tools and supplies for framing and woodwork and I will never give them up even though they are not used for my job any more.

Come on Bluebell! Wheres your thinking cap gone?!?

'Thank you' to those for lovely comments about my pictures! :)
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

your bird pictures are beautiful, perhaps you could ask Richard if you could set up a shopping page here selling your pictures? its always good to keep your hand in even if you don't do it for a main living anymore, nothing wrong with earing a bit of pin money in these hard times. )t'
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

AHHH! Thank you Katt! Actually I was going to order some of your chicken decorations for Christmas, but I think I have left it a bit too late now. I will PM you.

The broaches you did for me were so lovely. In fact at the time I thought they would look lovely boxed framed. :-D
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

kattcottrell wrote:your bird pictures are beautiful, perhaps you could ask Richard if you could set up a shopping page here selling your pictures? its always good to keep your hand in even if you don't do it for a main living anymore, nothing wrong with earing a bit of pin money in these hard times. )t'

That's a nice idea, a little market here on DTL so we can buy and sell from each other!

Love the little framed birds!

I always get picture frames from car boots and jumbles, etc and use them for photos of my lovely boys!
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Hi Ma Larkin - sorry the thinking cap was packed away with all the rest of the rubbish in our house - serious building work been going on. :?

I think what you mention about the Katt's Hens would be a good idea to have framed. I know quite a few people who have had their babies first shoes, or mittens framed.

I have remembered that at a craft fair a couple of years ago I saw a stall run by a lady who frames all sorts of things she finds, like old fashioned knives and forks (you know cheap ones electro plated nickel silver as opposed to solid silver!), handmade cards and so on.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/