Using every last little bit.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Using every last little bit.

Post by Meanqueen »

How far do you go to squeeze every little bit out of a tube, or scrape every last tasty morsel out of a jar? When I am at the end of my mayo jar, I stick a piece of veg on the end of my fork and scoop it out with that.

I am nearing the end of my moisturiser, I reckon I will get another week out of this by cutting down the tube to the bottom.
Photobucket

Ilona
)t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I used to offer my kids a jammy drink to use up the bits in the jar that I couldn't scrape.

And every crumb gets scraped off for the birds before washing plates or dishes
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

I cut open my moistuisers as well there is always loads left

I also get every last bit out of jars etc no matter how long it takes!!!

If I am cooking with tinned tomatos the tin gets "rinsed" out with water and added to the dish !!
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

I always cut the toothpaste tube up when I can't squeeze any more out. There is enough trapped along the bottom seam and under the "shoulders" of the tube to do me 2 ot three days.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I pour tonic water into an empty bottle of gin, give it a swill round so as to get the last vestiges of expensive liquor out; you can do the same with beer into a newly emptied glass of rum as well. :shock:
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Ahhh tins, just reminded me. If I have a tin of rice pud I split it between two coffee mugs, and give the tin a swill out with milk if I have any, water if I havent, pour into mugs, then heat one in the microwave, and do the same the next day, two days puds.

SS if I had any spirits that's a good tip. I swill my juice cartons out with water and add to drink, I dilute it anyway 50/50.

Ilona
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

My OH and i have an unspoken competition over finishing the toothpaste.
If you throw you lose! We are both very competative.the cutting tecnique is good for toothpaste and moisturiser and similar.

Tin are always rinsed and added, same with majo', added to pasta is good.

I thought this was normal behaivour!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

I cut all plastic tubes as well, got my daughter doing it now with all her creams and potions. You really can get loads more out. I do it with everyting.
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

If you have used up the marmite or bovril, rinse the empty jar with boiling water and add to a casserole. Make a lovely stock.

My Gran taught me that one!
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

A little vinegar added to the bottle and shaken well can help get the last drops of ketchup out
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

I keep the "empty" bottles of ketchup, sauce, chutney and rinse them out with a little water and add to a spag bol/cottage pie/pasta & sauce type meal. I keep the peanut butter jar to do the same when we have an appropriate meal.

If OH is cooking, he never remembers about these jars and so sometimes we get quite a collection waiting to be rinsed and added to a meal.
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

I do that one too Lilo lil with the marmite. Bollybarb, I thought this was "normal" behaviour too but it isnt, not many people I know do it and I am always getting ribbed for it. Dont care though. Every penny counts especially these days.