free mdf from ikea

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
amandajane
Lively Laner

free mdf from ikea

Post by amandajane »

When I visited Ikea Bristol last week they had an amount of MDF that they use for packing and large broken bits of wardrobes etc. in the underground car park near the exit, we asked a member of staff and aparently they put it there for people to help themselves to! :-D

My friend and I had 3 big bits of MDF for a project in the new year, and I thought you thrifty lot might like to know its there (f+ (f+

Amanda x
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Beware.

MDF is carciogenic.

Be sure to wear face masks when cutting and remove all dust from the pieces you are keeping. Please use power tools that have dust capture systems or extaction systems.

Undercoat with special product before painting.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

What is MDF ? confused>

Ilona
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Medium-density fibreboard MDF

its used alot in make over for houses etc

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thanks for that, I wondered if I should rush over there to get some, if it is free :-D maybe not, I don't need any.

Ilona
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Meanqueen - it's sold in sheets in varying thicknesses, and is extremely fine in texture, unlike chipboard. It's brown in colour; the colour of cardboard infact.

Its fineness makes it ideal for planing, sanding, etc, so as Stace says, is used internally in a house and no normal house makover would be without it.

I used it for shelving as my walls are old and uneven and I needed to ensure it ended up flush with the walls, and it was perfect for that.
amandajane
Lively Laner

Post by amandajane »

Thanks for the tip Mike - I didn't know that :shock:

Not planning to cut it though, just stick lots of family photos to it ans PVA glue over the top )t'

Amanda x
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

My brother-in-law works at our loacl Ikea, apparantly the waste they produce is horrendous. One guy actually left because it upset him so much :?
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Amandajane, thank you for sharing that. )t'

I didn't realise that Ikea were wasteful at all. I find that quite shocking.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Any damaged goods that cannot go in bargain corner are dumped even though they are still functional and could be useful for family charities etc.
springkell
Learner Laner

Post by springkell »

I've heard there is a campaign against IkEA, does anyone know what its about?
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

The point about MDF being a carcinogen. It's true, but remember ALL wood dust is potentially carcinogenic. Particularly hardwoods because the dust is so fine. Always wear a facemask where there is dust even if it is finest quality english oak.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Well said stig. I cannot over emphasise the need to protect you lungs from what could been seen as innocuous dusts that are now proven killers. Even without the risk of cancer dust can cause irreversible damage to the respitory system even in small doses. Be warned.
Bah Humbug