Pallets

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Robert Davitt Callaghan
Lively Laner

Pallets

Post by Robert Davitt Callaghan »

Hi there laners, I'm probably teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs here, but here goes anyway, there is a small forest's worth of unwanted pallets within a 2km radius of my house, granted i do live in a city, not far from a retail and light industrial area, however i'm sure there must be some near you, now there may be some people out there who don't know what a pallet is, without sounding patronising, pallets are the wooden platforms that goods are delivered on, word of warning, usually the ones with a brand name printed on the side, well they are returnable/reusable, and the company won't be too pleased if you take those ones.
I have made several herb boxes now and ofcourse built the new coop from entirely pallets, using one as a removable floor. Also for you in the midst of winter, free firewood.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

The ones painted blue in this country (tend to be solid & well constructed) belong to some company, but generally all others are fine to use. I usually have first grabs of pallets that can fit in my car (important criteria!) from where I work so I am very lucky. I often see the ones used for delivering building materials left by skips at people's houses, and it is always polite to ask before taking.

Meanqueen has made some amazing projects using pallets. On another forum I visit, I've seen some fantastic sheds made out of them - but the trick is to get a load of matching sizes. On my allotment site they have been used to raise (bought) sheds off the ground or create "decking" for somewhere to sit. I make simple compost bins with mine )t'

Pulling pallets apart can be very tricky though - due to the way they are manufactured, it's not always a simple case of using a crowbar as often the (cheap wood) struts split.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Pallets are great aren't they. My 'speciality' is Garden Furniture and faffing around repairing fencing etc.

I think it's illegal (this came up before). When it's obvious who's they are, I ask. But half the time they just appear abandoned, so I then declare myself 'Eco Warrior' !!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
amandajane
Lively Laner

Post by amandajane »

my three compost bins are made of pallets - they're fab.... (f+

Trying to convince hubby that the other pallets I 'salvaged' will eventually make a lovely turkey house for next year :!:
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

The main pallets I see are the GKN Chep pallets - they are always a distinctive shade of brignt mid blue. They are rental pallets, so they should never be taken, even with permission, as someone will be paying a rental for them.

I found the following link which may be helpful - it lists all the types of pallets which are 'owned', so to be avoided:
http://www.palletlink.co.uk/pallets/pallet-pools/
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

amandajane wrote:Trying to convince hubby that the other pallets I 'salvaged' will eventually make a lovely turkey house for next year :!:

Hmm. Yes. I too am thinking that perhaps I can persuade someone who is nearby to go down the turkey route.... :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jake7ben
Learner Laner

Post by jake7ben »

Hi Richard
Do you have any pictures or designs of the garden furniture that you make as I would like to make so myself
Ok with the tools just need a few pointers how to construct.
life is good sometimes!!!