The most frugal woman in Britain..?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

The most frugal woman in Britain..?

Post by Babycakes »

I heard a trail on BBC breakfast this morning - "Coming up - the woman who lives on £1 a day - is she the most frugal woman in Britain??"
Well, I almost fell over Gracie trying to get to the telly to see Ilona - BUT IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!!
I had to go to work before I saw the whole thing - did anyone else see it??
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

There has been a lot about this woman if it is the one I think it is. She is a bit of a cheat and not worthy of Illona's crown.

She stocked up her freezer and paid her rent etc in full at the start of the year. Then she bought cheap stuff admittedly from the budget ranges but she also went to a lot of free events and scrounged food off friends. I don't really think she should have all the publicity but I think she has made a lot of money out of it!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

You're right Kate, her name is Kath Kelly, a teacher, and it's all about selling her book. She was on Working Lunch on Monday, I went onto the web site and said my bit but they haven't been in touch with me. She is no way as frugal as I am, all my living expenses have to come out of my £60.50 per week, except my mortgage which is being paid by an insurance, and my council tax has been cancelled. I bet she has a nice heated house, and doesn't widdle in a bucket to save money on water costs, and I bet she has a bath or a shower and doesn't have a strip wash in the kitchen.

Ilona
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Thought so - the first time I read about her I thought it was going to be enlightening but by the time I was half way through the article I realised all was not as it seemed.

I would not be able to live on what you do Illona, and I admire you very much for getting on with all the challenges life gives you, because that is what you have to do not because you have decided to try it out. Good luck with you college applications, I am so pleased to see your reasons to be cheerful are back!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I have to say I was genuinely disappointed - in my pre-coffee daze I forgot Ilona was filmed for channel 4 not the BBC - I thought it was something to do with that.
vyxxn
Lively Laner

Post by vyxxn »

I was a bit gutted too. She was living on £ 1 per day except........ ( bill paid etc ) so she wasnt. Tony Blair did it once when he was in service - except he didnt either - he lived on dole money except everything was paid and he only had to do it for a week. I cant stand the well off pretending to be paupers for a while so they can bleat on about how theyve been there and understand how hard it is. patronising b...ards )t'
www.vyxxn.co.uk
FREE RANGE MOTORCYCLING AT ITS BEST
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

well said vyxxn )t' )t'

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

They have no real idea what its like to live on a budget!

This is to get the sales up on her book!

Its total Cr.p!

Ilona knows how its done for real perhaps we should all call them and give them her number! )t'

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
julie2
Legendary Laner

Post by julie2 »

Agree with you vyxxn, )de:
chickens rock!!!
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Well said, vyxxn! )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I can understand how it seems she cheated in a way, but I dont think she did. She paid her rent etc. in a lump sum, but she paid it out of her normal year's salary. The (alleged) original point of the thing was to save enough to get her brother a "decent" wedding gift out of her part-time salary. Personally I'd be mighty annoyed if ANYONE expected a present in excess of £1,00 from me, but maybe I live in a different world where you still get 5 toasters and a fondue set lol
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Ilona,

Your comments about Book Promotion.

This rings true to what I said about your up and coming TV show. You have to self spin, market yourself 'as a product' if you want to earn money from it; books, articles, talks etc.

Sure there are many 'cheats', but she scores 10/10 for making something of it !!!!!

You should go for it!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I am thinking along those lines, Richard, I should know how to do that by now.
Photobucket
I am writing quite a lot. I am finding it easier to do the first draft on old fashioned pen and paper, then transferring it to computer, also I've started another website. I must keep going with it.

Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Martin Lewis is an example of coming from nowhere.

His website is valued at 8 - 12 million !! Then there's the TV series and books.

Note it's called Martin Lewis's moneysavingexpert not just moneysavingexpert.
It's pure marketing and quite brilliantly done.

If anyone's not going to go bankrupt next year - it's him !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Robert Davitt Callaghan
Lively Laner

Post by Robert Davitt Callaghan »

Richard wrote:Ilona,

Your comments about Book Promotion.

This rings true to what I said about your up and coming TV show. You have to self spin, market yourself 'as a product' if you want to earn money from it; books, articles, talks etc.

Sure there are many 'cheats', but she scores 10/10 for making something of it !!!!!

You should go for it!

Richard

I concur with Richard, play to your strongest hand. Or as Nobbydamus would say,' If I can make a living from living, then livings well worth living, death is still this cheapest way to live though.' [i]Nobbydamus- 2002