Have YOU heard about Skype?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Robert Davitt Callaghan
Lively Laner

Have YOU heard about Skype?

Post by Robert Davitt Callaghan »

Hi there, I have recently been using a service online called Skype, which basically lets you call people online for free, to other pc's only, you can call landlines or mobiles but then you will incur a small charge, alot cheaper than Vodafone or telecom or whoever your provider is, I'm sure lots of you know about it, but then lots probably don't, just another way to cut down those monthly bills, plus if you have a webcam you get to see your friends/ family, it's great for us living in New Zealand, being able to see our families back home.

here's the link to the homepage which has the download on it aswell.

Skype link

cheers.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Yes, I use Skype for instant messaging, it's very good.

I also now have yahoo messenger, you can call with that for free, also show webcam and share photos.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Same here, use it free to video / chat with my daughter and speak to John Harrison a lot on techy stuff (allows you to be hands free for keyboard!!).

I've found it far better than MSN.

You can buy credit to phone landline numbers if you wish and it's way way lower than the rest (assuming you don't have 'anytime' etc).
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

That's interesting, Richard, I didn't know about buying credit to call landlines, I shall look into that.

And I couldn't get MSN messenger to work with Vista, I did all the things it said on the Vista help page to do, then Vista still blocked it!!
montenegro
Learner Laner

Post by montenegro »

we use skype here from spain, they have/had a deal for 36 euros per year (£36 with the exchange rate now :!: ) it allows you unlimited calls to any european fixed land line for a year, excellent for keeping in touch with those who dont have skype. A skype to skype call is free which is even better. Also you can buy a uk number so anyone in uk who wants to talk to you if you live abroad only pays a local rate but by the wonders of technology, your phone rings wherever you live! That costs a bit more, not sure how much. I think its also possible to buy numbers for other countries if thats where your friends/relatives are.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

my brother in law works all around the world
and he uses skype to talk to his wife and kids

my wife uses skype to discus things with her sisters
things like
"tell me what shoes goes with this dress"
and
"look what i brought today"

i have tried to use skype
with her sisters for other things
but alas no joy yet )j;

i think its brill to talk to someone on the other side of the world
on a video call
and all for free!!!!
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln