Store Cupboard Must haves

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Hawthorn
Lively Laner

Post by Hawthorn »

BigMeanUglyOgre wrote:
Also if anyone had a link to information about purchasing from abattoirs or having pigs, sheep, etc. slaughtered, I would appreciate it. When I moved to this country (I'm american) I was shocked by the prices of meat and the distinct lack of quality that can be found at the supermarkets. While I occasionally use a butcher, mine is on the expensive side and I'm looking to branch out and lay aside a large portion of meat in the freezer.

You could try the abattoirs direct, if you're looking to purchase a large quantity, or do you have any farms near you? Farmers are generally willing to part with a carcass or two - chances are they'll get a better price off you than they will off the supermarket. You may have to butcher it yourself, though.

My advice here is to just ask around. Visit farmers markets, that kind of thing. They can only say no ;)
'Some family trees are full of nuts'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Where we live we have a number of farms which have been lucky enough to be in a position to have little farm shops, livestock living on the farm ends back on the farm, in the farm shop.

You can purchase whole or half pigs or lambs.

Although I don't eat meat myself I do think that these types of places deserve the patronage of customers because the farm staff can normally give you a great insight into how the stock raised and you don't see any of this pre-packed plastic meat that you see on the shelves of well known supermarkets.

I'm sure if you google local farm shops you will come up with some local suppliers.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

Getting back a little to the original thread-I think herbs and spices and flavour-giving items are useful, as whatever you have to eat, you can create different flavours. My 'must have' at the moment, expensive but worth it,smoked sea salt. I've used it to crisp chicken skin, on roast spuds, steak. I think it would be perfect for homemade potato wedges,or roasted veg of any kind. Also, it goes a long way.

)ot: I totally go with the idea of storing up to a years food in advance. Is it done on a rotation basis, so that the newest food is always at the back, and the older stuf gets eaten first? All it would take is to buy a few extra cans and packets. We used to take the michael out of the Jehovah's Witness group, as they supposedly stocked up on tinned food and stored it below Kingdom Hall. We laughed about what if they forgot a tin opener. But when it comes down to it, it's a seriously good idea, like has been said, for times of unemployment. So apologies to all who have this way of life, no offence ever intended, it makes sense.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Chicken on the Hill wrote: )ot: I totally go with the idea of storing up to a years food in advance. Is it done on a rotation basis, so that the newest food is always at the back, and the older stuf gets eaten first? All it would take is to buy a few extra cans and packets. We used to take the michael out of the Jehovah's Witness group, as they supposedly stocked up on tinned food and stored it below Kingdom Hall. We laughed about what if they forgot a tin opener. But when it comes down to it, it's a seriously good idea, like has been said, for times of unemployment. So apologies to all who have this way of life, no offence ever intended, it makes sense.

I was a JW for a couple of years in my early 20s, and have never heard of food being stored - I think it must be an urban myth! They certainly have some odd takes on life (no offence meant if anyone out there is a JW) but I don't think thats one of them, unless its happened since the mid 1980s anyway :) I think the general idea is they will all be whisked off to a better place at the end of the world and not sure they'd need lots of tinned food to take with them. Sorry, sorry I know this has gone way, way )ot: and now I will definitely shut-up sile}
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

i store loads , luckily for me i got a big cellar, and 2 freezers and 2 fridges, so for me its easier than most, i do buy bulk frozen all gets dated, tins , dried food also, so i have a good system, small label everything , so the eye can see the dates, including long life foods
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

p.s i am not a jw
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

here,here Jen, if it keeps why not is my motto:)
BigMeanUglyOgre
Lively Laner

Post by BigMeanUglyOgre »

Anyone who wants to talk religion, I'm alway up for it. But I'm stopping on this particular thread as you can have too much 'off topick-ness. Make a thread or just pm me.

Back kind of on topic, it shouldn't just be food that you set aside. We've talked about soaps or bicarbonate of soda. I have an uncle who is expecting an energy crisis and so has started burying coal in his backyard.

It's really quite clever. There are no regulations for it unlike with propane, gas, etc. It's also fairly safe.

Problems with energy, etc. occur and he just has to grab a shovel.

On the food front, we've got large metal tins lined with plastic to keep them waterproof full of honey (which lasts forever), rice, and pasta.

It's important to remember that unless kept refrigerated (or even better frozen), olive oil should only be good for 1 year. There might be a little leeway in that use by date but not much. You also have to remember that the 1yr starts at when the olives are pressed not when you buy it in the store.

I know so much because I fly down to Italy to help a friend of mine who owns an olive grove every year. Talk about good olive oil.

On the freezing front, I have a biochemist friend who swears by it. He finds a good batch of olive oil and buys in bulk and freezes.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Apologies for going off topic earlier on, I had not realised. :oops: :oops:
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChooksAway!
Lively Laner

Post by ChooksAway! »

I think I went off topic first! Sorry Katt.

Just to get back on topic - I think porridge oats are great!

CA!
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Now that's another thing I normally have in, cos I love porridge, but I understand you can use it on tops of home baked bread, and in home made cereal bars.

Anything else?

Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Oats make a wonderful topping for a crumble - I use half flour and half oats, and make as you would a normal crumble topping.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

You can put oats in stews, make a great thickener. :-D

Ilona
Hawthorn
Lively Laner

Post by Hawthorn »

Bluebell, you can add oats to minced beef dishes. A pound of mince does us at least six servings this way - more commonly 12, as I add lots of mushrooms/onions etc to it.
'Some family trees are full of nuts'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Great suggestions.

I love crumbles, so will definitely give that a go. )t'