Store Cupboard Must haves

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Hawthorn
Lively Laner

Post by Hawthorn »

Going to steal that for next weeks meal plan, If I may Kate )c+
'Some family trees are full of nuts'
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Help yourself, it really is yummy.

I made it once and rolled out the suet pastry like normal pastry but this recipe although it seems weird pouring a batter on top of the mince ensures you get a really light golden topping )t'

You can also add diced carrots, swede, celery, parsnip or whatever you like to bulk out the mince and make it go further )c+

Oh and it tends to stick to the dish so if yuo have a good non-stick thats the best, but then you may like the sticky bits to scrape off :-D
Hawthorn
Lively Laner

Post by Hawthorn »

No non stick - I shall remember to plonk it in soak when we're done :) Thanks for that!
'Some family trees are full of nuts'
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

beans and tomatoes cupboard isnt a cupboard with out them.
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

kate egg wrote:Teviotdale Pie

Ingredients:
1lb mined beef
10fl oz beef stock
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 finely chopped onion
8 oz self raising flour
1oz cornflour
3 oz shredded beef suet
Milk

You can also add diced carrots, swede, celery, parsnip or whatever you like to bulk out the mince and make it go further

Use shin beef (or stewing or braising steak if you can't get hold of it) instead of mince and the worcester sauce, and add small pieces of potatoe to the stew (meat, carrots, onions, peas) and you have meat & potatoe pie )t' I usually put a plain suet crust on the top when its cooked (2 parts self raising flour to 1 part suet, water to make a dough before rolling out). I might give your pie crust a try, it sounds good :-D
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Just noticed in that recipe it doesn't say to add any salt to the batter topping - I always add a pinch of salt )t'

The batter topping is much lighter than rolling it out, kind of a bit spongy or dumplingy )c+