Don't be complacent!!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Don't be complacent!!

Post by Babycakes »

We went for a few bits in pesky tescys last night. As usual I automatically headed for the cheap value baked beans - which Owen took out of the trolley and replaced with expensive branded ones. But he then pointed out that the value ones were 29p each but the branded ones were on offer at 4 for £1 - 25p each. So stay alert!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

Its good that Owen is keeping an eye on prices too, 4 eyes are better than 2. I nearly did the same until I saw 4 for 1 pound. (stupid pound sign wont work) You certainly have to be alert.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Watch out for the bigger pack sizes too - I went to get a 3 litre bottle of oil for the deep fat fryer etc and just as I lifted it off the shelf, realised that 3x 1 litre bottles were much cheaper :shock:
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

this is the recession putting blinkers on us to trick us into buying everything for a pound or here (holland) everything 1 euro its a way for the shop keepers to make there tills flow, and people are being caught out! BE ALERT!,its overall
i got out the bread maker , the toastie machine, the brrrrrrrr icecream maker, the name it its out even the blender/shredder,mixer,pie tins you name it im gonna be there making it all, these 2 have cleaned it all ready for hard pushed new year, but i can do it like you all here, if i can you can , and new year new recipies?, come on down the lane cookies , make and share recipies?
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

They normally put the price per litre or kg on the shelf label which can help although I have noticed that they often try and deceive by using varied units (grams and kilograms) and even switching between metric and imperial. I’m normally quite good at sorting it out but it takes slightly longer and sometimes you have to think about it.
Bah Humbug
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

Yes I have noticed and it does take a little longer to get the old grey matter working but I will still stand there and do the maths.
They will try anything to get another penny from you if you dont stay alert.
julie2
Legendary Laner

Post by julie2 »

saint-spoon wrote:They normally put the price per litre or kg on the shelf label which can help although I have noticed that they often try and deceive by using varied units (grams and kilograms) and even switching between metric and imperial. I’m normally quite good at sorting it out but it takes slightly longer and sometimes you have to think about it.

They are sly )de:
chickens rock!!!
unicorngirl
Lively Laner

Post by unicorngirl »

that's why I like doing my shopping online at mysupermarket.co.uk...if there is a cheaper option on offer it shows you it. Fab!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

unicorngirl wrote:that's why I like doing my shopping online at mysupermarket.co.uk...if there is a cheaper option on offer it shows you it. Fab!

Doesn't it get complicated when different shops have different things on offer - how do you decide which shop to buy from? Or do you type your list in and it gives the the total cost at each shop???
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

I do online shopping at Tes and Co and the money saving alternatives that they suggest to me are more expensive that the item i wanted to buy.
Also special offers are often not unit priced so you have to work it out, not everything is a good as it initaly seems just bear it in mind.
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!