Greenhouse

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Greenhouse

Post by morph »

I currently have one of those plastic covered greenhouses, but I've decided a want a "proper" one.

I don't want a large one - 6' x 4' and want to know if anyone knows of somewhere cheap I can get one from?

Cheers
Small steps lead to big changes
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I got my 6'x4' greenhouse from Focus on sale for £115, but it cost me an additional £60 for the base! And you also need to think about the floor if you don't intend planting directly onto soil.

Have you tried www.freecycle.org

Sometimes it is worth having a look
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

All to often they're free. People moving into a new house often want it out the way and disposal is a problem.
Both of mine cost nothing, just 'free if collect'.

Look at the Recycle website (can someone remind me of the name please!).
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

If your got the wherewithall to dismantle and re-erect then local papers are also a source of bargain greenhouses. If buying from new http://www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk are good value with a wide range of sizes and configurations.
SueSteve
Learner Laner

Post by SueSteve »

Have you thought about making one out of plastic bottles??
Greenhouse

http://www.snh.org.uk/press/detail.asp?id=1465

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Greenhouse

Post by AnnaB »

Phil
That's where we got ours from - it is a Europa (c) model 12x8ft. We got it as it can withstand high winds (very important these days). It has 2 doors and I can get the wheelbarrow into it.
I must add that we had it 11 years ago and I am sure the prices have escalated since then.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Thanks for the advice - I think I'll have a scout through the local papers!
littlefeat
Lively Laner

Post by littlefeat »

morph wrote:Thanks for the advice - I think I'll have a scout through the local papers!

hi morph, i live in newcastle under lyme,there is a place in longport by burslem, the old price and kensington place, it is open on wed and sat, if is full of second hand stalls, selling all sorts of cr*p, i ashed in there and they found me one a six by six double wall plastic one for £50, all the guys that have the stalls shop around for stuff to put on their stalls so they come accross them, when they do house clearances.

littlefeat
at home with 1 dog, 2 rats, 3 rabbits, 6 fish, 4 cats, 8 chickens, 2 kids and 1 hubby
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

That's great littlefeat thanks! I haven't bought one yet...!

Where about in Newcastle do you live? I live in Lightwood
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

Coo - small world! I was born in lightwood and we lived in Newcastle for 12 years.

Best tip I can offer with 2nd hand greenhouses is to dismantle yourself. Take a digicam or notebook and felt tip when you do so and mark pieces so you know how they re-assemble.

I wrote up my experience with building a couple of 2nd hand greenhouses - may be worth a read to you
http://www.allotment.org.uk/articles/Second_Hand_Greenhouse.php

I learned quite a lot doing it.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Excellent Johnhson - yes - small world!!!
littlefeat
Lively Laner

Post by littlefeat »

hi morph
we live in maybank, ile keep my ears open, a friend recently moved into a house with a glass greenhouse, they offered it to me unfortunatly it was glass and having a 5 year old who potters around me with a trowel, i said no, pity i did not know this site then i could have directed them to you, if i hear of any ile pm you, i dont know anyone local who has chickens, do you keep yours in your garden, i do the neigbours were a bit funny about them to start with but are now buying eggs from me so they are ok now :)

littlefeat
at home with 1 dog, 2 rats, 3 rabbits, 6 fish, 4 cats, 8 chickens, 2 kids and 1 hubby
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Have you tried Freecycle?
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I used to live in Maybank littlefeat - in Adams Street near the Cricketers!! Yes, I keep them in garden aswell, but the neighbours haven't said anything so that's good!

Have tried freecycle thanks mo - have managed to get a bargain new plastic cover for the one I have now, so I think that'll do me for next years growing!
littlefeat
Lively Laner

Post by littlefeat »

morph wrote:I used to live in Maybank littlefeat - in Adams Street near the Cricketers!! Yes, I keep them in garden aswell, but the neighbours haven't said anything so that's good!

Have tried freecycle thanks mo - have managed to get a bargain new plastic cover for the one I have now, so I think that'll do me for next years growing!

i live not far from the cricketers, just off brampton road, its a small world.
i was up your way earlier, visiting a friend who lives behind somerfield.

littlefeat