really frugal or just plain mean ...........me I mean !

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Ninja1
Lively Laner

really frugal or just plain mean ...........me I mean !

Post by Ninja1 »

I've been reading some of MQ's posts about frugality and I reckon she has it taped, I'm pretty frugal myself, but don't think I could cope without hot water! I suppose central heating isn't a necessity as long as you have an open fire or solid fuel burner/Rayburn or similar.

Anyway, my hat's off to you MQ !

But I have a rather extreme measure myself, almost embarrassed to mention it :oops:

I dry my tea-bags and re-use them ! anyone else do this ? I don't peg them out on the line I hasten to add, but put them into a seive in a warm place to dry out and then use them again. OH doesn't realise I do this he thinks I'm saving them for the compost heap )t'

he's had many a 'recycled' cuppa and hasn't realised it, just goes to show what the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over eh?

If you've a Starbucks near you, you can go in and ask for a bag or two of coffee grounds, about the size of a bag of sugar, tell them they're for the compost heap too, but you can get many a cup of good quality coffee out of those grounds - then put them on the compost heap.
Ninja1
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

I've collected coffee grounds before but never thought to reuse them, think i might need some more wise advice that you can find here!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
miserly_mum
Learner Laner

Post by miserly_mum »

Well suppose everyone has their own perspective on whats classed as mean

Personally I wouldn't do it because we only make about 3 cups of tea a week so the savings would be negligable.

But if you drink a lot of tea then over a year the savings would soon add up.

Like the old saying "Look after the pennies........."
Since we pulled those purse strings tighter
Our future's looking brighter

My catchphrase

"HOW MUCH !!!!!!!!!"
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Definately look after the pennies, I don't drink tea, and I'm trying to cut down on my coffee intake, one cup of nessssscafe a day, but I might get some for my compost when next in town.

You might think this is being tight. I have a gas cooker with an electric clock, so it needs to be plugged into the mains for the clock and the push button ignite to work. I don't need a clock in the kitchen so I don't plug it in except when I want to use the oven, and that isn't very often. I use old fashioned matches to light the top burners and grill. I keep the spent ones in a dish, and when I want to light one ring when I already have one lit, I use a spent match, rather than get a new one out of the box. I can make one big box last nearly a year.

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I do both of those. I do turn on the igniter/timer when I use the cooker, but it really annoys me to see it left on (other peoples kichens glow in the dark). And if I use a match, I save it for reuse.

Childhood memories. Making 'spill holders' for Christmas presents. That was back in the days of open fires, so the coloured wooden spills might have been useful, though my parents used a twist of newspaper if part of the kindling/paper had caught, and the rest needed relighting.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have a new dishwasher :oops: and I can't believe the amount of lights on the front. When I set it on timer, there are 5 different colour lights on - one flashing! CRAZY!!

Mind you it's supposed to be eco friendly confused>
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Helen, I've got a new dishwasher, mine has bonnie lights on the front, don't know what the heck they mean but they are pretty when the kitchen light off.

)ot:
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I my 'youf' I did a lot of light-weight camping. You would always know which was my tent 'cos there was tea bag pegged onto the guy-line, waiting for the next time I made a brew.

I did like my tea weak, it must be said!

If I make a pot of tea or proper coffe, I will often add just one more bag or a spoon of coffee to what is left in from last time - trouble is, I'd only be making a pot if I have company :oops: hostess with the mostest or what!
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"