Easy ways to waste money?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

morph wrote:would be a boring world if we were all the same!!

I realise that I'm one of a very small percentage of people. :wink:

I'm thought of as eccentric because I choose to travel from Birmingham city centre to home in 45 mins using said folder and local train. Obviously, anyone in their right mind would prefer to spend 60 to 90 minutes doing the same journey in a car.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

being with my wife for 21 years
god she knows how to waste it!
(i'm pretty good as well!)
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Good on you Russell - excercise at the same time as you commute - bargain!!

I'd be too cold (or too warm if we ever had nice weather), then I'd need a shower (don't have any at work)!! I much prefer to get the train to Manchester or Birmingham City Centres - much quicker and convenient than driving - but I still drive to Stoke Station )t'
Small steps lead to big changes
Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

You don't need a shower! If you have one in the morning then any perpiration is fresh and therefore odour free. I actually only cycle a few miles each travel day - 4 minutes for the mile to the station, then a gentle potter around the destination city. I hardly ever get a sweat on - and that's wearing a suit or trousers/linen jacket combo. In the winter I wear a leather overcoat. It's no more energetic than walking - and rolling downhill less so.

I also find that my four minute mile to the station is about the same time as the walk from the station car park to the ticket office - and on the return leg I never have to wait in the queue to leave the car park.

I shouldn't push people too hard to try it though. They might like it - and that will mean less space on the trains me.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Yeah, a mile isn't too bad - would walk that easily enough in the morning anyway - however, for me it'd be a 15 mile bike ride to work, or a 4 mile bike ride to work, then the train, then another 1.5 miles bike ride to work.
Can't believe I've just looked that up on theaa.com Russell !! :mrgreen:
Small steps lead to big changes
Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

You wouldn't have looked if you weren't interested. :wink:

Of course, you don't have to do it every day - perhaps try it once a month when you know the weather will be suitable (which it mostly is). Then you'll do it a little more often. It's quite addictive.

I used to do cycle/train/cycle to an office in Brum a few years ago. I didn't break sweat so the lack of showers meant nothing. After work I would cycle the 16 miles home in around 55 mins - lots quicker than driving it. Technically I was a home worker and claimed 32 miles at 25ppm.
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

This is all very good, providing your nearest train station isn't a 6hr bike rike up a mountain :shock:

I'll stick to my little car.

Happy biking!!

cheers
Jodi