Easy ways to waste money?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Katt
Learner Laner

Post by Katt »

How about buying storage containers for the fridge and freeze while throwing away empty margerine and other food tubs?

Theres a new butty man who comes to our office daily, he sells salads and stuff in microwavable squae containers, people wash these and leave them in the kitchen to be thrown, guess who gathers them up for re-use?

How about buying a daily paper when theres a free one available just outside the office entrance?

Or when people leave theirs to be thrown right after they've read them.

How about buying cleaning cloths and throwing out t-shirts with a stain on them?

I cut mine up ,after they've done gardening duties and use them instead.

Any more good ways to waste your hard earned cash?
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Telegraph yesterday....a casserole dish for £100,000 - it has 18ct gold handles and 200 diamonds, whats that all about?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

- casserole dish won't be much use in the microwave!
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

or the dishwasher!
Small steps lead to big changes
Katt
Learner Laner

Post by Katt »

What about buying bin liners and throwing away plastic bags? Whats that all about?
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I agree that is nonsensical. Better still, can you do without plastic carrier bags as well?
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Driving past skips on the way to the DIY to purchase some shelving which you never see because you've got so much on them.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Come on Phil
We had the plastic bag one before!
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I didn't mean to start that discussion up again :oops: Just seemed a pertinent point to make.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Phil
No red faces - smiles.....
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'm researching loads of green issues at present for a new section in the website and only today gathered some really interesting stuff about pl*..t*c b*ags ( )de: ).

I won't mention them now, but it fascinated me.

No so the cricketers though, who thought I've finally lost it laying on the Dressing Room Floor reading Green Consumerism rather than the mandatory National Press Sport sections!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Was it your choice of reading or the fact that you were lying on the dressing room floor? :wink:
Richard

Post by Richard »

It's rained here for three days, so rather than trying to look as if I was busy, just gave up and joined them!
I think the answer to your question is - I asked them if anyone else would like to have a quick glance through my book and the answer was "No Dicky"!

But it was an interesting read though and got lots of info, plus a scan round loads of web sites.
Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

The obvious one has to be owning a car. That said we have two of them, however we are hoping to soon be a one car family.

I've discovered over 28 years of car ownership that they have probably been the biggest drain on my cash than any other thing. Since I've been big into cycling and trains I find that I can get to most of my business appointments with a train and my folding bicycle. My quality of life has also improved since I decided to leave the car at home and either walk or cycle journeys of up to 3 or 4 miles.

The second car has become redundant and will be gone in a week or two. That alone is going to save us £400 per year in VED, insurance and MOT fees. You can get quite a few taxi rides for that, or even hire a car when needed.

So many of our friends are have become totally dependant upon their cars - mostly because they are lazy and disorganised. And some of them literally go to work to earn money to buy a car to travel to work in. :?
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

liking the bike Russell - but each to their own eh - would be a boring world if we were all the same!! (f+
Small steps lead to big changes